Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Hand I remembered vs Doug Lee in turning stone 2k event

For those of you who dont know, Doug Lee is this terrible LAG player who won a WSOP curcuit event. He was raising/reraising with total crap all day, and making a lot of donkey plays. Over all he was playing poorly and getting it in with the worst of it, but he caught a couple of monsters and is sitting on a pretty big stack. I have noticed he likes taking really long pauses to make it look like he is thinking with monsters.
I havent showed down a hand yet, picked up a couple of small pots with cont bets and the like, been overall really quiet. My stack is around the starting amount (and ~avg too)
I have played with Doug in earlier events at Turning Stone, and usually was one of the only players standing up to him, so he has a decent amount of respect for me as I have taken a bunch of pots away from him.
Hero (2800)
Doug (7000)
(Blinds 50/100)
I get JJ in early position and raise it up to 300, folded to Doug in the BB and he makes it 900, he has been coming over the top a lot, I think, think and call.
Flop: 7 4 2 rainbow
Doug pauses, counts his stack, pauses, then fires out 1500 essentially puting me all in, I fold face up (only so he shows me his hand, which he will).

I got a lot of heat for this from my friends that I was there with, I will go through my thought process later.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Hand I remembered vs Doug Lee in turning stone 2k event

I don't fold here. You say he's been playing lagtard all day, if he has a bigger pair, so be it. You were there and probably had a better feel for the situation, so if you trust your instincts you should run with them.

I also wouldn't want to show the table my cards.

I probably just shove it in preflop, actually.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:42 AM

A lot of this depends on how accurate his tell is and what you think his reraising range is. I'd think this is a call against basically anything though, as you're getting 2:1. Assuming 0% chance of bluffing:

Board: 7h 2c 3s
Dead:

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 52.9256 % 51.71% 01.22% { TT+, AKs, AKo }
Hand 2: 47.0744 % 45.85% 01.22% { JJ }
Old 10-24-2005, 11:45 AM

You shouldn't call preflop and fold on undercards unless you knew you'd pick up a tell on his flop bet.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:46 AM

obviously
Old 10-24-2005, 11:48 AM

1/3 of your stack just to see where you're at?

What were your plans for the hand?

If you hoped to trap him, wasn't this the perfect flop for it? Did your read override the "plan?" Would/could he represent a big hand to get you off yours?

I think the times he hits the board/whiffs outweigh the times he pairs up/makes a set. I'd be hard pressed not to get all my chips in here.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:55 AM

Based on your above description my normal default would be to call. Normally this is a pretty easy call.

However, you were there, and I wasn't. I assume you have seen
how he would play AA or KK BTF. If this is what you put him on
I have no problem going with my read. Your read better be pretty reliable to make this type of laydown with your precarious chip position.

I don't like folding my hand face up. Unless you're certain he will show you his hand you're putting yourself in a spot where the entire table will now try to run over you.

Bruce
Old 10-24-2005, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1/3 of your stack just to see where you're at?

[/ QUOTE ]
That, to make sure an ace/(king?) doesnt flop, and to see if i could pick up a tell.
[ QUOTE ]
What were your plans for the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]
Check fold when an ace flops, get it all in with a set, re-evaluate an overpair.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't like folding my hand face up. Unless you're certain he will show you his hand you're putting yourself in a spot where the entire table will now try to run over you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was positive, I have played with him before and he always did this. The players at my table were weak/tight nits anyway.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:04 PM

I guess your play is acceptable I dont know I never play live and probably couldnt figure out if a person having an epileptic seisure needed help.

But, I do know that it's important to not let your opponents know what you are capable, if at all possible. Flashing your cards is [censored] stupid.

-Jason