Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 10:51 AM

Default My Friend\'s Homemade Poker Table - SWEET!

Check this out. He did this in about 3 weeks of evenings and some weekends. He also designed it himself.

Cool Poker Table
Old 04-25-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Re: My Friend\'s Homemade Poker Table - SWEET!

That's a good one.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:00 PM

Beautiful alternative table design. I really need to get around to making a nice table one of these days. Then again, I will have to get something besides my crappy dice chips to play with if I do that...

-Trail
Old 04-25-2005, 02:09 PM

I like the design. I plan to build something very similar, but without the cedar strips...I'll just use oak plywood.

I was originally going to build an oval table, but we all agreed that octagons are nicer because you can see all the other players better. I'll post mine when it's done, but it may be awhile. I've got a headboard/footboard, built-in bookcases, and a hallway bench to make first! At least the headboard/footboard is almost done.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:31 PM

I'd suggest something with a more closed grain than oak for the track. Unless, of course, all your furniture is oak [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I'm partial to maple, there is such a small area of track that a large grain wood like oak looks out of place. I've always thought that if I did a "traditional" octagon table I would use padded leather for the playing surface. Something to toss around in your head, anyway.

Have fun, if you can make furniture a poker table is nothing. Your headboard will probably take more hours.

I love how your friend's table doesn't have "chip trays" in it. I hate those things.

edit: oh yeah, don't discount the 4x6 oval or ellipse table... if my math is right you can squeeze 10 people at one. It would be a SQUEEZE, but 8 would be super comfy. If I get around to it soon I'll post pics of a 4x6 that I want to make.

edit again: did he sew the upholstery? is that piping at the lower edge of the rail?
Old 04-25-2005, 02:47 PM

Nice looking table! Personally, I hate cup holders and think drinks should not be allowed on the table. Looks like the race track area is a bit too large. Should still be functional though.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:56 PM

Yeah, I prefer to stack my chips, so chip trays just get in the way. I think you may be right about the oak. I'm going to look at what they have at the local Menards...I've also thought about maple and possibly Hickory.

We talked about ovals, but you always end up with people essentially sitting side-by-side. Not great for socialization or for reading tells, IMHO.

As far as the upholstery goes, his dad did it...he's had his own very successful upholstery business for 40 years. I don't know if it's piped at the bottom or not, but it wouldn't suprise me. I can't tell from any of my pictures and I haven't seen the table in person yet (our game this weekend got cancelled because my band had a gig on Friday). I plan to have his dad do my upholstery too.

Thanks for the comments and I'm open to any suggestions or improvements that'll make mine come out nice.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:59 PM

I know may people don't like cup holders, but I refuse to play for 5 hours without drinks. We both desinged our to be deep so that the drinks are very unlikely to spill and are pretty much out of the way (especially with the rail there too).

I agree that the race track is too big. Mine will be smaller. I think he made it bigger to show off the cedar stripping more. I was never very fond of the idea of using the strips, but he really likes it. Mine will be easier without and any time saved will make my wife happier and give us more time to use the darn thing!
Old 04-25-2005, 03:16 PM

I played on an octagonal table like this one, with the cupholders in the corners instead of centered along each side like they should be. When you are sitting on one of the sides, and put your hands on your cards or chips, the drinks are where your elbows should be. Annoying.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you are sitting on one of the sides, and put your hands on your cards or chips, the drinks are where your elbows should be. Annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding? I'll be curious to see if this ends up being a problem. I think a bottle of beer sticking up right in the middle of your spot would be more in the way. I'm guessing each side will be wide enough (about 25") that it won't be a problem, but a night of poker will reveal any design flaws.

The bottom line is that any drink holder will create less space and probably get in the way at some time, but not having one is worse, IMHO. We don't take our poker too seriously, and I'm not likely to play if I can't have a few beers while I'm doing it.

We discussed some type of under table drink holders, but couldn't come up with a design that either of us liked.