Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2005, 08:13 PM

Default virus/spyware help needed quick.

something has gone wrong somewhere. Everything began to go bad this morning. All kinds of fatal exceptions and "this program has performed and illegal opperation". Then when I went to open foxefire there was the message that i did not have enough memory to open and I would need to close some programs before I opened. When I opened my task list 22 programs were running and I only recognized 5 or 6. Alas, here is the list of programs. does anyone know if any are spyware or virus? Also note, I did run a spyware and virus scan with my nortons and pc-cillin and they found nothing?

Rundll32 (i have no idea)
Hpqtra08 (i think this is hewlet packer printer/scannner/coppier software)
Hpzipm12 (i think this is hewlet packer printer/scannner/coppier software)
Hpcmpmgr (i think this is hewlet packer printer/scannner/coppier software)
Pfppop70 (I have no idea)
Wzqkpick (I have no idea)
Rundll32 (I have no idea, and why is it running twice)
Em_exec (I have no idea)
Realplay (i assume this is ms real player, but does it need to be running?
Hplamp (i think this is hewlet packer printer/scannner/coppier software)
Directcd (I have no idea)
Osa (I have no idea)
Rundll (I have no idea, running a 3rd time but no"32" at end)
Hpsjvxd (i think this is hewlet packer printer/scannner/coppier software)
Hpwuschd (i think this is hewlet packer printer/scannner/coppier software)
Stimon (I have no idea)
Winmgmt (I have no idea)
Speedkey (I have no idea and I am worried this is spyware)
Tsc (I have no idea)
Hpdarc i think this is hewlet packer printer/scannner/coppier software)

Any help on what these programs are and/or how to remove them or keep them from autmatically running would be great.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 03-27-2005, 08:22 PM

Default Re: virus/spyware help needed quick.

if you do not get replies here that help, post this log in the www.hijack-this.net forums

that's way too many operations running.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:22 PM

Speedkey is fine according to google.

Lori
Old 03-27-2005, 08:23 PM

stimon.exe is a process belinging to Microsoft Windows, and provides additional support for scanners, digital cameras and other video inupt devices. This program is a non-essential system process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems

Lori
Old 03-27-2005, 08:23 PM

WinMgmt.exe is the Windows Management Instrumentation. It is used by system administrators to create Windows management scripts, for example, scripts that handles the user accounts on a server.

Lori
Old 03-27-2005, 08:25 PM

I'm not a tech person, but have dealt with adware/spyware in my business. The best advice I can give is to download ad-aware and spybot search and destroy. Run them both, activate spybot's registry protection feature, and then if anything tries to reinstall itself, google the name of it and you'll see links to tech-oriented sites with specific instructions for getting rid of them one by one.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:17 PM

spybot's registry protection feature

??

where is this locted within the program please? i can't find it.

ty
Old 03-27-2005, 11:53 PM

I'm at home and don't have the program on this computer, but there should be an "Immunize" button on the left when you open up Spybot Search and Destroy. My recollection is that selecting the immunize setting causes Spybot to moniter your system all the time, with a warning window popping up whenever some of the more persistent adware tries to reinstall itself. When that happens, you not only get a chance to override the re-installation, but you get a peek at what that particular adware is called. That enables you to google it and get more specific instructions on how to rid yourself of that particular adware.

If you have a lot of it on your system, it's worth getting a technical person to come over and either purge or completely reinstall your operating system. Adware, spyware, and malware are now the number one reason that compute rusers call help desks, and have become more of a burden than either viruses or spam.

Again I'm not a technical person, if you continue to experience persistent problems with adware you should get help from someone with expertise in that area.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:06 AM

22 programs is high, but not excessive. Everyone who writes a program thinks they need to have something run at startup. You can start->run "msconfig" to see what all is in your startup folder. Viruses and malware often hide from this list... At least you can uncheck the things you know you don't care about. You may have to google the program names.

Microsoft's new free beta anti-spyware is good, and will give you even more protection if you run it as well. The other advice here is good too.

I don't know how haywire your system is, but check your disk space. XP likes to have 20%+ free space on the C:. Another explanation is hardware. You may just be overheating, or about to blow a RAM chip. Make sure all the fans are still running. They jam up with crud, or just die sometimes.

Oh, and I HATE all the HP crap. They can't write software for ****.

Good luck.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:46 AM

I've used the free www.PCPitstop.com checks every month or two for the past five years with no bad side-effects but some occasional benefits.

One of the results from the Full Test, "Test Details", shows what programmes are running and what they are for. (Probably one of the mini-tests would give these details if you didn't want to do the Full Test.) Click on them for further information.

They give these links, too, which should help:

"These sites also have good information about specific running programs and what they do:

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Taskl...s/tasklist.htm
http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startlist.htm "