Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 02:15 AM

Default Re: First 15 mins off 6. max. 25$ NL, need help, too aggr.??

[ QUOTE ]
i think until u get the hang of 6max just think of it like UTG, UTG+1, & UTG+2 folded. my standards are almost the same for 6max as full ring. i steal a little bit more, but its not that different...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why i thought you should protect the BB's to a frequent raiser/stealer.

When sitting BB, would calling (or re-raising) a 3-4 BB preflop raise with say ATo/AJo (any pair) be wrong, guess it would be in a full game.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think until u get the hang of 6max just think of it like UTG, UTG+1, & UTG+2 folded. my standards are almost the same for 6max as full ring. i steal a little bit more, but its not that different...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why i thought you should protect the BB's to a frequent raiser/stealer.

When sitting BB, would calling (or re-raising) a 3-4 BB preflop raise with say ATo/AJo (any pair) be wrong, guess it would be in a full game.

[/ QUOTE ]

as everything does in poker, it all depends. as a standard i keep my BB calling range to all pairs, and AQs+. i widen my range against most players, but when i first sit this is what i stick to...
Old 12-01-2005, 02:57 AM

I did very well at NL $25 6-max without getting too tricky. There's a lot of LAGs and a lot of calling stations; take advantage of them. If someone raising 20% of hands wants your blinds and you're looking down at KTo, so what, let it go. You'll get it back with interest because these guys play like idiots against your big hands. I also played full ring (though not as high as you) before switching to 6-max, and you just have to get a feel for it. One thing I sure loved was donks calling 8xBB raises into my AA/KK/whatever...they're clueless.

I'll call any pair preflop for 4xBB (unless it's against a very solid player who likely won't lose much to a set) since your implied odds are huge. ATo and AJo are pretty marginal though. Playing back against steals is probably something you have to do better to win at higher buyin levels (I'm at NL 50 right now and still not finding it necessary) but NL 25 probably wouldn't be the greatest practice for that given that you're not up against a lot of creative players.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:07 AM

I don't think you should be too concerned about protecting your blinds in SSNL. The bottom line is that playing hands, especially mediocore hands (J8o is not even that), sucks when you're OOP. If you keep doing that you will lose a lot of money.

If you really want to play back at a button raiser I would suggest calling with a hand like 56s or QT, which can atleast flop something nice from time to time. If the flop texture looks safe you can either lead for a pot-sized bet into the pre-flop raiser or check-raise him with air. If he's the type of player who will float along or raise you with air then I suggest just waiting for a hand and he will pay you off.