Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Re: I just tilted away half my bankroll in 5 minutes, laugh at me

First thing I did when party put up that b.s. blackjack option was to figure out a way to remove it. Having that bj option there for me is like a crack dealer asking his addict roomate if it would be okay to store some product under his bed.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember the day a while back when I opened up 2000 NL on pokerstars and saw the name RiverTheNuts and thought to myself "bah, another 2+2'er whose already moved up in stakes by properly bankrolling himself and sustaining winrates at the prior limits... im jealous but i'll be there soon". Turns out you were just there blowing the bankroll. I think too much respect is given to people on 2+2, not all of us are true winning long term players. (Not saying you're not a good player but having dscipline is vital to long term success). I used to recognize 2+2 names and think "yep he must be good".

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I've just realised I've seen the OP playing either 1000 or 2000NL on stars. Hey dude! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Edit: Just read above...
Old 10-20-2005, 03:26 AM

How do you get rid of it? Ive already martingaled blackjack way too much on there??

BTW, I dont play on stars so it isnt me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Ive been doing better, im stuck at 1/2 6 max limit ... grinding bonii and my 5BB/100
Old 10-20-2005, 10:40 AM

you sound like me, go read my post, ahhahaha, we can laugh at each other at least....
Old 10-20-2005, 11:22 AM

Ha
Old 10-20-2005, 01:25 PM

Set a stop loss

like when you're down 20 bb

stop playing and go buy yourself a hooker [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]and spend some quality time [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I drop 25 bets at 2/4 after a few beats. "Oh [censored]", I say to myself, "I need to make that money back, thats enough money to eat for 2 weeks"

[/ QUOTE ]

25BB = $100.
Two weeks = 14 days
Per diem = $7.14
Old 10-21-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you get rid of it? Ive already martingaled blackjack way too much on there??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I would like to kill tht Martingale guy, and I'm not talking about Wink.

To get rid of Party BJ and side bets, go to C:/Program Files/Party Poker/Images

Then delete all refrences to sidebet and blackjack.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:25 PM

What you described is not so much "tilt", but rather a full blown gambling problem.

I agree with Dr. Schoonmaker's reply. The biggest problem is that you "tilted" over losing 25BBs at 2/4. What the hell? Down 25BBs is ridiculously common. If you tilt everytime that happens, the remainder of your roll is not gonna last till the end of the month.

You are obviously underbankrolled, if not financially, definitley psychologically. Based on the severity of your tilt, I think swearing of gambling is the way to go. Failing that, you should switch to a much smaller limit.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:11 AM

Default Re: Here goes, my goals

[ QUOTE ]
Writing these out is one thing, actually keeping to them is another.

I play poker to win money and because I enjoy using my brain to make good decisions. Tilting is the antithesis of making money. It is getting your money in with the worst of it, relying solely on variance to make money, which makes me no better than a drunk tourist in vegas. The longterm in poker is alot longer than I seem to think it to be. Therefore, superceding anything written below, I will quit for the day when any loss goes over 30 BB. This is for my own protection, and I know that this way frustration will not lead to unsound judgement.

My current bankroll is a touch over 1000 dollars. Although my sample size isnt @ 10k hands yet, I am running at 8 BB/100 at 1/2 6 max, so I am pretty confident that I can beat the game for a good amount if tilt is not a factor.

I will play 300 hands every day @ 1/2 6 max until December. At 300 hands/day and an estimated winrate of 8 dollars/100, this should make me a little less than 25 dollars/day, taking reload bonuses into account.

After each round of 300 I will import the history to PT and evaluate stats and any poor play. I will keep any funds over 500 dollars in my poker checking account, as most reloads dont require more than 500 to get the max, and this will protect myself from any impulse tilt betting.

I have approximately 85 days until I need to start cramming for exams and getting ready for X-mas. By this time, my goal is to have PT stats with VPIP under 30 and aggression factor over 2.25, as these are currently my 2 biggest hinderances to my game, with VPIP around 35, and Agression at 1.75. Further, if everything goes to plan, around 3000 dollars in my bankroll. At this point I will reevaluate where/how/if I want to continue playing.

In Summary: Think how [censored] lousy you felt this morning after losing a months worth of work. It will feel like that every time; you arent going to luck out like some donk; you will crash and burn, and it will hurt, you will feel like an ass, and you wont have money to buy little things that you want. Playing solid poker over the LONG HAUL is the only way you can gamble and be successful at it.

PS- I started back up this afternoon after work, rededicated... 150 hands, +21 BB.. then again, its easy to play well when you are winning and you just had the taste of puke in your mouth in the morning, lets hope it lasts

[/ QUOTE ]

This post has so many problems.

You say that you play to win money, but that is not entirely the case. You play for the fulfillment and ego boost of winning, and once that is taken away, even for a short while like 200$, and you go off the deep end. You can only ASPIRE to play to make money at this point. Such a player has some mastery of the CRITICAL skill of long term success - bankroll management.

Secondly, you are confident because you're winning at 8bb/100, yet you state you have 10k hands of data. This is a pissant amount of data that is nowhere near accurate. Nothing to base future hopes on whatsoever. You have suddenly set a bunch of goals and rules for yourself, but you're not going to follow them. You don't just magically develop self control and discipline overnight, you have to figure out the REAL reasons you are playing poker right now, and how you have emotional investment in your results. Once you get through that, THEN claim to be a player that 'plays to win money', and THEN set goals for yourself.