Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 04:46 PM

Default party 1/2 full questions

ok i've hear the players at 1/2 are "better" than 0.50 / 1 (party) the only thing I've seen they are better at is holding a high card to the river on the off chnce they hit top pair. or having bottom pair hit trips, etc

OK enough whining.

What I want to know is how do you mitigate top 2 pair getting killed on a regular basis - or is this just bad luck? Is there any mod I can make - play tighter losser less agg?

EDIT: Oh - I've gone back and played a few k hands at 0.5 just to check and kill full and 6 max there
Old 11-25-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Re: party 1/2 full questions

$1 $2 full can be tough but it sounds like you are just hitting a bad run at the moment. Most players are pretty tight although that does not mean that they are good as most still play poorly.

If you are happy playing 6 Max, which it sounds like you are, then just play that instead. All of the very poor and very loose players who are missing at full ring are to be found sitting at 6 max tables.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:39 PM

Thought I'd would resurrect this for an update

[ QUOTE ]

$1 $2 full can be tough but it sounds like you are just hitting a bad run at the moment. Most players are pretty tight although that does not mean that they are good as most still play poorly.

If you are happy playing 6 Max, which it sounds like you are, then just play that instead. All of the very poor and very loose players who are missing at full ring are to be found sitting at 6 max tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had been playing 1/2 full and was up ~25BB then down ~30BB at a single table in a single session - mostly due to suck outs, etc. (this has been happening for the past couple of months - down 150-200BB at full).

I decided to take the suggestion (it couldn't get much worse could it?!) and this has been successful so far (I guess there are fewer players with hands to hit trash as often)

As a follow on - if I am successful at short (2-6 handed) at 1/2 do I need to be concerned with full (8-10) before moving to 2/4?
Old 11-28-2005, 05:46 PM

If you're down 200BB's after a couple of months, you're either a losing player at those limits or you arent playing many hands.

How many hands do you play a week roughly?

And about 1/2 on party...

It's much tigher than .50/1 unfortunately. I was shocked at how many rocks there were. There are many decent players too... actually, strong players, nevermind decent. The jump from .50/1 to 1/2 is a lot more significant (in my limited experience) than the jump from 1/2 to 2/4.

You need to learn to play against tight players, and actually have reads. At .50/1, it's very possible to crush the tables without giving any consideration to who you're playing simply because the tables are so loose that the pot size dictates what the action should be - save for the instances when you have a monster. Playing tight, and pushing edges against loose fields is enough to win there. At 1/2, it isn't unless you've found an extremely juicy table.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:01 PM

I'd say ~3-4k hands at 1/2 full over the past 2-3 months I played about 1k over the long weekend (Wed-Sat)

Problem has been that I am losing to any 2 suited (e.g. T6), any A (e.g. A6o) cold calling 2 or even 3 PF and catching runner runner flushes and 2 pair on the river, etc.

I think I may be having more of a problem playing against loose limped hands that come in for anything with a hope of seeing the flop and if they catch a piece they call down (I've been called to the river with a pair of 2's only to have the river pair their other card). Bad beats - yup ok. But there just seem to be fewer of them at 6 max because there aren't (usually) 4-8 people to the flop in a raised pot.

Is this a concern? Are people adjusting to my style by limping anything and then allowing me to bet for them? If you get 2 or 3 players at a table like this it seems a losing prop.

example I raise PF with AK and then A high flop then
I bet flop, bet turn and get raised or
bet bet bet and get raised on the river or
bet bet 3 flush hits check villan bets I call

EDIT: I am a winner at 0.50/1 full and 6 max was previously winning at 1/2 full until around July and am still winning at 1/2 6 max
Old 11-28-2005, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say ~3-4k hands at 1/2 full over the past 2-3 months I played about 1k over the long weekend (Wed-Sat)

Problem has been that I am losing to any 2 suited (e.g. T6), any A (e.g. A6o) cold calling 2 or even 3 PF and catching runner runner flushes and 2 pair on the river, etc.

I think I may be having more of a problem playing against loose limped hands that come in for anything with a hope of seeing the flop and if they catch a piece they call down (I've been called to the river with a pair of 2's only to have the river pair their other card). Bad beats - yup ok. But there just seem to be fewer of them at 6 max because there aren't (usually) 4-8 people to the flop in a raised pot.

Is this a concern? Are people adjusting to my style by limping anything and then allowing me to bet for them? If you get 2 or 3 players at a table like this it seems a losing prop.

example I raise PF with AK and then A high flop then
I bet flop, bet turn and get raised or
bet bet bet and get raised on the river or
bet bet 3 flush hits check villan bets I call

EDIT: I am a winner at 0.50/1 full and 6 max was previously winning at 1/2 full until around July and am still winning at 1/2 6 max

[/ QUOTE ]

Full ring sucks period IMO, I stopped playing it altogether.

Anyways, I'd play more hands for a raise in the 6-max if I were you. Depending on the table I'll raise PF with 77+ and JTo+, just to knock out these crappy hands people love to play. Your superior postflop play should be good enough to turn a profit if you loosen up your preflop requirements a little...stats plz?

Steve
Old 11-28-2005, 06:11 PM

Talking of Party $1/2 - how much tougher is it after you get out of the beginner tables? I've been a member there for 15 days and managed to make $1,200 multitabling (from 4 to 8) - mostly $1/2 (nealy $1,000 of those dollars) and a little $0.50/1 (that's just from poker play - not including bonuses).

I've never known poker like it. Quite frankly, I'm a little worried going back to "proper" poker now I've known this luxury and will definitely be rereading SSHE before moving on.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:18 PM

I'll have to dig up stats (PT down moving to new machine ;p)

fwiw - I'd say my 6 max play is dead on so far. I played the other night (after losing ~30BB in full ring) and made up the loss and then some (~70BB) I only shut down to go to bed with my GF (as she was getting kind of pissy).

If I'm first in I'm raising. If it's raised I re-raise premium or fold (e.g. A8o - raise first in -fold if any limpers in front, A8s - raise - fold if already raised)

It really is the full ring I'm unsure about - If I can win long term (say 10-20k hands) at 1/2 6 max do I need to stress about full ?
Old 11-28-2005, 06:19 PM

I can't answer this one as I never played the beginer tables (came around after I started)

Oh and before I forget...I hate you (just kidding) $1000 in 15 days ;-p
Old 11-28-2005, 06:21 PM

1/2 full was difficult for me when I moved up from .5/1. Players are way tighter and better. I would go up 50 BB, then down 50 for a long time. So after about 25 hours of this. I decided to take a break. I came back to discover the 1/2 6 max is way easier for me. I still play full games, but feel like I am better at 6 max.