Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Re: week 5 \"What we learned\" post

So Dallas beating the hell out of Philly didn't tell anybody anything? IMO, it didn't say nearly as much about Dallas as it did about Philly.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sometimes it is best to rely on your instincts and ignore systems/trends, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope I never learn that. No disrespect, but I don't think the 49ers +16 was bad because it was overanalyzed, and the Colts -16 good because it conforms with our "gut". NoChance makes a good point about the rookie QB, and that was the deciding factor in this one. But really, Barlow had a pretty good game, Manning was nothing special, and the whole 9er squad actually played pretty hard. All of which was forecast by those who liked the points. A few less throws into triple coverage - actually, anything other than an unmitigated disaster of a QB's debut - and the 9ers keep within two TDs. I don't feel the least bit remorseful about that bet.

One more thing:

[ QUOTE ]
I will not ignore any future "sports intuition" or whatever you want to call it, no matter how obvious a play seems.

[/ QUOTE ]

This ain't a very 2+2-like opinion, but I hope it works for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

my sentiments may have been misinterpreted a bit here... I am not (and never have been) someone who believes in the miraculous power of his gut (see also: "I AM GONNA STAND ON 16, I KNOW YOU YOU'RE GONNA BUST!"), but my point was that sometimes it's best to step back from your angles, systems, etc. and ask yourself (as a bettor, fan, athlete, etc.) if you really think that you are making the right play.

I didn't step back from the indy SF game last week, and had a sour taste in my mouth at the result. Regardless, live and learn.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:22 PM

Fair enough.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So Dallas beating the hell out of Philly didn't tell anybody anything? IMO, it didn't say nearly as much about Dallas as it did about Philly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I think it said a lot about both teams. I think the NFC is pretty much wide open at this point.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Philly will have trouble winning the east. Any of the four could win it.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So Dallas beating the hell out of Philly didn't tell anybody anything? IMO, it didn't say nearly as much about Dallas as it did about Philly

[/ QUOTE ]

It is pretty rare for any team to not have at least one game like this each year where they just can't do anything right. The next game or two will tell much more IMO. I will be laying off them at least the next game and quite probably the next two.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4. SF only crossed the 50 yard line twice against a horrible Arizona team the week before.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think Arizona is horrible at all(although their running game is). They outplayed Carolina last week and if not for a helmet ->ball hit that knocked the ball back 20 yards and resulted in 1st and goal at the 5 for the Panthers they'd have won that game going away.

What I really learned though is that the Niners ARE as bad as everyone thought pre season.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Philly will have trouble winning the east. Any of the four could win it.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol - gotta dig this one up in january
Old 10-11-2005, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

an ass whooping is an ass whooping

but did the steelers whooping the eagles ass last year tell you that they'd win out the rest of the 'real' season? or did people cook the birds after that game

in case your memory is foggy, people cooked the birds after that game.. questions about run d, questions about lack of run game, get the game film shut down the birds... espn, cbs, fox, this messageboard and all others - birds are flawed, 7-1 vs. bad teams, they wont win 10 games, blibbity blibbity

and then they won out the rest of their real games

another news flash: its week 5, no one's going to the super bowl yet

i know you're a sharp god moderator and i'm just a square homer who bets 5 dollars a game, but puh-leeeze
Old 10-11-2005, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol - gotta dig this one up in january

[/ QUOTE ]

Philly is still the fav to win the division but i think the east is the toughest division in the nfc, so the statement isnt totaly out of whack.