Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 09:58 AM

Default Simple preflop thing, 10/20 6m

Sorry this is simple I'm sure. 60/22 LAG who seems to be tilting and LAGging more if that is possible opens in MP, I 3 bet Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] next to act with a loose button and tight blinds behind me?

-DeathDonkey
Old 07-29-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Simple preflop thing, 10/20 6m

Good question. I'll take a try at it mostly because I'd like to hear how other players view this situation - it gives me trouble as well. If you 3 bet and the button is loose, will he likely fold? If you think he will, then you are 3 betting to isolate with queen high. Seems like the LAG who raised is unlikely to fold during the hand, so you need to hit your hand to win here, since Q high is not likely to be best at showdown. So, is it better to call, let others in the pot and hope to flop a big hand or big draw here?
Old 07-29-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry this is simple I'm sure. 60/22 LAG who seems to be tilting and LAGging more if that is possible opens in MP, I 3 bet Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] next to act with a loose button and tight blinds behind me?

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this isolation raise at all. You probably don't have an equity edge against his range of hands unless he is so tilted that he really raises with any hand at this point. You will most often miss the flop and be stuck with a draw or Q-high against an opponent who will not fold anything. What you want in this situation is a hand which can win unimproved some of the time. For example A7s or 66.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this isolation raise at all. You probably don't have an equity edge against his range of hands unless he is so tilted that he really raises with any hand at this point. You will most often miss the flop and be stuck with a draw or Q-high against an opponent who will not fold anything. What you want in this situation is a hand which can win unimproved some of the time. For example A7s or 66.

[/ QUOTE ]

so then are you calling, or folding?
Old 07-29-2005, 11:58 AM

I wouldnt try isolating with suited broadway cards like this unless your LAG gets very weaktight after the flop. You cards have zero showdown value--give me A8o anytime as an isolation hand. If the table is more or less loose passive and has taken to coldcalling the LAG's bets multiway, there's an argument that you could coldcall if you will have good position postflop. Generally, though, Im mucking here even against a 60/22.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so then are you calling, or folding?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am folding, but if both the LAG and the button are really terrible I don't think a cold call is that bad in this situation.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldnt try isolating with suited broadway cards like this unless your LAG gets very weaktight after the flop. You cards have zero showdown value--give me A8o anytime as an isolation hand. If the table is more or less loose passive and has taken to coldcalling the LAG's bets multiway, there's an argument that you could coldcall if you will have good position postflop. Generally, though, Im mucking here even against a 60/22.

[/ QUOTE ]

given OP's read, it seems like he'd be more like 75/40 right now, which means the Q high may be enough on some boards. FWIW I'd iso here.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

given OP's read, it seems like he'd be more like 75/40 right now, which means the Q high may be enough on some boards. FWIW I'd iso here.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is raising with 40% of the hands it gets closer. Then QJs almost has an equity edge against his range of hands.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Q high may be enough on some boards.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is almost never the case. I ran QJs against the loosest of loose raising standards (any ace, any king, any pair, any broadway). QJs is a 45-54 dog. Isolating with this hand is a mistake.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:31 PM

cold call. its a hand you want the loose player in. he might tag along for 3 bets but you're not sure. the blinds being tight may or may not fold for one bet, but you have a good multiway hand. your hand is probably a tiny preflop fav over 3-5 hands so try to keep it multiway. and i'm sure the others at the table will recognize that your raise is an isolation raise so they might just cold call the likes of KT for 3 bets themselves (incorrectly). so keep the pot a moderate size unless you really have something worth 3 betting.