Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Emotional competence

I am usually pretty pissed unless I am up 1k or more every day. If I breakeven, I am really pissed. Losing simply isnt an option. Dont be like me.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I know you think you understand variance, and you might in theory, but if this is how you feel, you really haven't fully grasped the concept.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, first off, i agree that if you cant handle breaking even, then you're in big trouble [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I made a post that i think sums it up..

we can understand things, but when it comes to controlling emotion and ego, that comes with experience. and you cant talk someone into being more experienced...sometimes you just gotta ride the wave to understand it.

The theory and concepts can only be truly internalized once you have felt the emotions that go along with it, but it takes time and experience to do this...not reading this forum. this helps, but you still have to feel the pain [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2005, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, going on tilt and losing is worse than not playing, but that's like saying calling in sick for a week because you don't like your job is better than coming in and punching your boss in the face. Sure it is, but...

[/ QUOTE ]

nice play... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2005, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I know you think you understand variance, and you might in theory, but if this is how you feel, you really haven't fully grasped the concept.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, first off, i agree that if you cant handle breaking even, then you're in big trouble [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I made a post that i think sums it up..

we can understand things, but when it comes to controlling emotion and ego, that comes with experience. and you cant talk someone into being more experienced...sometimes you just gotta ride the wave to understand it.

The theory and concepts can only be truly internalized once you have felt the emotions that go along with it, but it takes time and experience to do this...not reading this forum. this helps, but you still have to feel the pain [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:39 PM

You should change your SN to Raptor518
Old 10-25-2005, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...cockeyed optimists...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like somebody's read one too many Billy Mumphrey stories.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:49 AM

you cant handle a break even streak?! wait... a 1 day breakeven streak?!

do people call the suicide hotline if you are actually down a buy-in or 2??

seriously though, i think your expectations are out of touch with reality.

i had a 60 buyin downswing at 30+3, but i didnt care much since i had a full time job back then. dont get me wrong. $1800 isnt chump change to me. but poker at that time was just additional income, and not the source of rent/food $.

now when i'm in a downswing, i goto a lower buy in (like 20+2) where $ doesnt matter as much. if i lose, it feels the same as when i lost at 30+3 and had a regular job.

and when i started winning and got my confidence back, i went back to my regular buy-in.

rinse, repeat...
Old 10-25-2005, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
now when i'm in a downswing, i goto a lower buy in (like 20+2) where $ doesnt matter as much. if i lose, it feels the same as when i lost at 30+3 and had a regular job.

and when i started winning and got my confidence back, i went back to my regular buy-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

i hate dropping in limits. then i cant get it all back as fast. screw waiting 3-4 days to swing back up. i want it NOW DAMNIT!@#!$!@%. holla
Old 10-25-2005, 04:48 AM

i agree. Screw playing lower buyins just to win back 1/4 of what you lost.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:57 AM

60 buyins, ouch.. and I thought the one I had was bad (it was somewhere between 30 and 40, I don't like to be reminded of it so I don't look back too much!)