Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 10:28 AM

Default OOT - Christmas Bonus ?\'s

I usually give my salaried employees an extra weeks pay as a holiday bonus. This year one of the full time employees left a few months ago, and the others have done a real good job of picking up the slack while I've been looking for a replacement. I'm thinking about tossing everyone else "a little something for the effort". Since I can't grant them eternal consciousness on their death-bed, I'm thinking about giving everyone a 2 week bonus this year. Good idea? I'm worried that if I do it this year, everyone will expect it from now on. Maybe just explain them why there is a bump this year? Maybe a bonus and a nicer gift this year? (each year I give them a bonus, small gift, and throw a real nice holiday bash). But then again, everyone loves cash. What do you guys think?
Old 12-01-2005, 10:32 AM

Default Re: OOT - Christmas Bonus ?\'s

Don't do the two-week bonus because no matter what you say it will set a precedent. Find some other way. How many employees are we talking about here? If the group is fairly small how about renting a box at a several sporting events and concerts. The cost is probably a couple of grand a pop, so I don't if that is close to what another week of payroll would be.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:32 AM

My previous employer gave us the week between Xmas and New Years off. I don't know if your business is able to do this, but I've always enjoyed free time...
Old 12-01-2005, 10:33 AM

just explain that the extra is for them picking up the slack the last few months; even give it as a separate check if u want so they see it as a 1-year thing and not an increase in what to expect each year

or get them a nicer present, a big gift card somewhere, etc
Old 12-01-2005, 10:37 AM

First, stop using the word "bonus" and use the word "gift". A bonus is generally performance based, so someone who delivers the same performance will expect the same bonus. Call it a "gift" and explain why they're getting it. Some will expect more more more (don't some people always?), but the keepers will understand.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:40 AM

How many employee's are we talking about? If the number is < 4 or 5, just divide the missing persons bonus between them. This WILL set a precedent saying that when people pick up the slack for others, they get the other persons compensation. They win (by getting a little extra) and you win (since the precedent you are setting is the one you want). Note that this also saves you quite a bit of cash, while still being nice to your employees.

I remember reading Shogun and Toranaga (main character) is considering how to reward one of his underlings. He thinks of a number, then divides it by 2, then divides it by 2 again and gives the result as the reward. He specifically states that it is a lot easier to give a reward than it is to take it back (which is how they may feel next year if you don't make it VERY clear what the extra bonus is for - this year).
Old 12-01-2005, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe a bonus and a nicer gift this year? (each year I give them a bonus, small gift, and throw a real nice holiday bash). But then again, everyone loves cash. What do you guys think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Suggestion #1:

Give the normal cash bonus and announce a date for an office party that will be paid for with the money you were normally going to give out as a bonus.

Suggestion #2:

Two checks. Give one bonus check like you normally do. Wrap the other check up in a little box and make sure everyone knows it's a "gift" for your appreciation and not a performance based extra bonus, because they will expect it again in the future.

Suggestion #3:

Put extra amount on everyone's bonus checks. Say nothing. When they ask about it just say "whoops." [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Suggestion #4:

Hire me. Please. I don't need a one week bonus. I will be happy with just one day!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-01-2005, 10:57 AM

I would just like to say you sound like a good boss. Several suggestions in the thread will fit your needs.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:10 AM

Give them their regular bonus, and then as an "extra" give them a nice fat gift certificate, VISA gift card, or whatever. An employee can receive up to a $400 gift tax free from their employer. Make sure it is given out separately from the Christmas bonii.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:22 AM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.

my boss gives us a bag of pistachios for christmas. have you considered doing that ? i mean, pistachios are pretty good.