Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Grand Jury Shopping: Abuse of Power or not?

[ QUOTE ]
During the meeting at his Capitol office, DeLay conferred with James W. Ellis, the head of his principal fundraising committee in Washington and his chief fundraiser in Texas. Ellis had earlier given the Republican National Committee a check for $190,000 drawn mostly from corporate contributions. The same day as the meeting, the RNC ordered $190,000 worth of checks sent to seven Republican legislative candidates in Texas.

[/ QUOTE ]

And? Where's the crime? This is pefectly legal. I assume (since RNC was able to cash the checks), the contributors knew they were contributing to the RNC. The DNC does it too -- it's the soft-money loophole. So now they're going to call it money laundering ... in which case the evidence is going to have to prove there was an intent to break the law. What law?

Right or wrong -- it's SOP, and the records are public. Get the facts from opensecrets.org.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Delayed statements

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know anything about Ronnie Earle, or much about the indictments, but I do know Tom DeLay has said the following things:

"Guns have little or nothing to do with juvenile violence. The causes of youth violence are working parents who put their kids into daycare, the teaching of evolution in the schools, and working mothers who take birth control pills."

"Our entire system is built on the Judeo-Christian ethic, but it fell apart when we started denying God. If you stand up today and acknowledge God, they will try to destroy you... My mission is to bring us back to the Constitution and to Absolute Truth that has been manipulated and destroyed by a liberal worldview."

"People hate the messenger. That's why they killed Christ."

"Give me one example that proves evolution. One example! You can't."

"The judges need to be intimidated, they need to uphold the Constitution. If they don't behave, we're going to go after them in a big way."

"It has never been proven that air toxics are hazardous to people."

"I AM the federal government." –to the owner of Ruth's Chris Steak House, after being told to put out his cigar because of federal government regulations banning smoking in the building, May 14, 2003

"So many minority youths had volunteered…that there was literally no room for patriotic folks like myself." -explaining at the 1988 GOP convention why he and vice presidential nominee Dan Quayle did not fight in the Vietnam War

"Now tell me the truth boys, is this kind of fun?" –to three young hurricane evacuees from New Orleans at the Astrodome in Houston, Sept. 9, 2005

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I wonder what vulturesrow or some other posters in the thread think of these statements, just solely based on these statements I would like to see him out of office.

The sad thing is probably these guys are in office and are so popular because too many people in the US share the above ideas.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Not hearing much on the Delay indictments suddenly

[ QUOTE ]

Btw, read here for a deeper explanation of this issue. Warning, it is a liberal blog site, just in case you want to save time and dismiss it on an ad hominem basis without even looking at the actual content.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phew, I almost clicked the link, thanks for the warning. We all know that anything on dailykos is totally accurate. Almost to NYT "standards".
Old 10-17-2005, 09:23 PM

Default Update: DeLay Turns Down a Ronnie Earle Plea Bargain for a...

.......Misdemeanor.

LOL! Ronnie Earle is getting desperate. He indicts DeLay with two phony felonies and now he is on his hands and knees begging DeLay to plea to a misdemeanor. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Tom DeLay's attorney petitioned Ronnie Earle to turn over the list of supposed Republicans that recieved the corporate donations. The defense received a list that was a alleged copy but no original list existed. Huh!? Translation: Ronnie Earle has been busted. Mark my words, this is going to be a MAJOR entertainment for my fellow republicans because Ronnie Earle will be embarassed and exposed as a fraud. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

DeLay turned the plea deal down flat. Ronnie's Earle's greatest fear is he will have to go to trial AND...the trial will be televised. Ronnie Earle's modis operindi (sp?) is to indict people but not going to trial or having half-ass trials where the defendent EASILY gets off. Ronnie loves being in the news but not actually having to go to trial.... If DeLay accepted the misdemeanor he would BECOME the MJORITY LEADER AGAIN.....INSTANTLY. Ronnie Earle has blinked BIG TIME. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But....DeLay wants it all:

1. Get acquited.
2. Get his position back.
3. Embarass Ronnie Earle.

and DeLay will get all three.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:52 PM

Default Re: Update: DeLay Turns Down a Ronnie Earle Plea Bargain for a...

LOL.

Delay's attorney says the offer to plead to a misdemeanor was made BEFORE the 1st indictments were handed out.

How you went from the facts to the claims made in your post are beyond me. It is not unusual for anyone to be offered a plea bargain before trial.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:13 PM

Default Who cares about Tom Delay?

He's a partisan hack with a poor sense of morals and ethics, even if he is not an out and out criminal.

[ QUOTE ]
Now that Ronnie Earle's indictment(s) have been revealed for the partisan hit job that they are, I notice that the libs on this forum havent said much. C'mon boys, lets hear your support for good ol' Ronnie Earle! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-17-2005, 11:55 PM

Delay's attorney says the offer to plead to a misdemeanor was made BEFORE the 1st indictments were handed out.
There were two plea offers.
The first offer was BEFORE DeLay was indicted. Earle told DeLay that if he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor then he would NOT be indicted on the felony charges. DeLay said no.

The 2nd offer was AFTER DeLay got indicted. If DeLay pleaded guilty to a misdemeaner, then the felony indictments would be dropped. DeLay turned this down. This was the plea offer I was commenting on. It was pretty silly of Earle to make such an offer after DeLay has already had to endure the press hooplah of these sham indictments. DeLay is fighting this all-the-way.

How you went from the facts to the claims made in your post are beyond me.
Well I live in Texas and Ronnie Earle's unthically methods are common knowledge. I'd rather not have to re-write numerous posts that I've made on Ronnie Earle's shenanigans. Don't believe me. Just watch the Delay-Earle sage in the next few weeks. Earle will become desperate to avoid a trial. Already he has failed to produce documents to the DeLay defense team that he claimed he had. My prediction is these sham indictments never go to trial. Feel free to razz me if my predictions come to naught.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:57 AM

I haven't been following this whole thing, but if it true that these are sham indictments, and that Earle is known for such proceedings, then I would greatly hope that there is some legal basis under which DeLay can sue him--and that he does. And I know literally nothing about either DeLay or Earle--I just think that abuse of prosescutorial power--and the existence of certain unfair laws--are great evils which ought to be heartily resisted.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:34 AM

95% of all cases are plead down. You could probably add a few more percentage points for those in which a plea was offered but not accepted. This isn't evidence of a weak case; rather, this is evidence that Delay is being treated the same as 95+% of the people out there. Big deal.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Ronnie Earle Unable to Provide Key \"Evidence\" to Defense

The key piece of information you are missing is that Ronnie Earle was asked by the defense to turnover copies of their evidence. Ronnie Earle's office was unable to provide a copy of the "original" recipient list of these corporate donations. Instead the received a list presumably created by Ronnie Earle's office which did not match the number of recipients in the indictment.

So where is the original list? Did it ever exist? By law Ronnie Earle has to provide copies of all his evidence to DeLay defense and he is already in breach of that law. THEN.....Ronnie Earle trys to persuade DeLay to plead to a misdemenor which would allow DeLay to retain his leadership position. This puts Ronnie Earle between a rock and a hard place. This last plea deal was made out of weakness not strength.

Mark my words, Ronnie Earle will become desperate to avoid a trial. He has no case and he has two choices:
1. Manufacture a case and embarrass himself (hopefully on national TV).
2. Drop his case.

I am 100% CONFIDENT this will occur. Even though the judge presiding over the case is democrat and gave money to the John Kerry campaign. I give everyone on this forum my complete permission to razz me if my predictions are not correct.

Here is a link from a fellow Texan living in Travis County who has seen Ronnie Earle in action. I'm glad the rest of the 49 states in the union will get to know this clown. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/10/13/121927.php