Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2004, 12:36 AM

Default Re: Leading the People to War

How do you suggest we compromise with religious zealots who believe all infidels should die?

we compromise by removing the situations that lead to the rise of the religious zeolots. The two main contributors in many opinions- poverty and the lack of self determination by their country' people.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:48 AM

Hi Chuck:

Check your Civil War history. Exactly the opposite happened.

Both sides couldn't wait to start fighting. Of course this might have had something to do with the fact that Northern troops were stationed in the South before hostilities broke out.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 09-25-2004, 05:52 AM

We started the war on terror.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:32 AM

Define Win. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2004, 06:37 AM

Name one.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you suggest we compromise with religious zealots who believe all infidels should die?

we compromise by removing the situations that lead to the rise of the religious zeolots. The two main contributors in many opinions- poverty and the lack of self determination by their country' people.

[/ QUOTE ]

We cannot alleviate their economic woes for them--they have to do that for themselves. Yet they cannot do so as long as they remain mired in narrow-based commodity economies and archaic, non-free political systems. They are trapped in a vicious circle and will only emerge with political/ideological reform, which in turn will permit and encourage economic innovation and growth. Their current unfree societies stifle economic innovation and growth. When ideas are stifled, so too is the economy. H

The GNP of all the combined Arab countries is less than, which Scandinavian country is it?--Sweden or Norway (I forget)? The Arab countries cannot have more self-determination without massive reforms: political, ideological, economic.

Also, economic/self-determination matters are only part of the problem. Jihad warriors are also produced by heavy formal indoctrination, as in Saudi Arabia and in the madrassas of Pakistan. The effect of this should not be underestimated.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:41 AM

Default \"Name one\" ?!

"Other countries have had terrorists for many years, have not fought a war against them, and have gone on with their lives in a relatively unhindered way." ---Name one.

You doubt such situations exist or have existed?!

Great Britain (the provisional IRA); Spain (ETA); France (The National Liberation Movement for Corsica); Italy (The Black Order -- fascist terrorists were the only political faction that targeted civilians in Italy, e.g. the Bolonia train station bombing, in accordance to the stupid "chaos theory"); Greece (New Order; ELA); Turkey (The Grey Wolves, various self-proclaimed Marxist-Leninist groups, Islamic extremists); Sri Lanka (Tamil Tigers); Egypt, Syria, Libya (The Muslim Brotherhood).

Enough?

(And I have not gone into Latin America yet.)
Old 09-25-2004, 11:17 AM

"lack of self determination by their country' people."

This was the last line of my post- correcting this problem is a time consuming, resouce draining task, and i do not think the way to do so is to invade a country, demolish its infrastructure/governing body and the set up a fragile government. This is what i feel we are doing in Iraq, again i think that we are giving more reasons to more people to attack the us and our interests. I agree that a capitalistic democratic society is less likely to produce terroists, but i cannont think of one example where an outside invasion led to the toppling of a dictatorship, and then resultedin a stable democratic country.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:44 AM

"...but i cannont think of one example where an outside invasion led to the toppling of a dictatorship, and then resulted in a stable democratic country."

Germany, post WWII. Hitler was eliminated and Germany is now a self-sufficient and fairly stable country. Sound familiar? Funny thing is, Germany was blown all to hell after this war, but with time and cooperation between governments afterward, I think they turned out alright.

-Edge
Old 09-25-2004, 11:51 AM

Dont confuse MMMMMM with facts.