Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 08:51 AM

Default How I get better?

Yes I know that I should read books, play game, think about game.
I do all of this but still I am not getting any better.
I have made a promise to myself to really try hard to get better.
So what I do?? How you good players have trained in the past?
Old 11-18-2005, 08:57 AM

Default Re: How I get better?

how do you know you're not getting better?
how many hands have you played? you need a statisticaly significant amount of hands to know. the more you play the better you will get if you go back to your hands and see how you could have played them better. always critiquing yourself is key.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:50 AM

Post your difficult hands on the appropriate forums here on 2+2. More importantly - read and reply to other's posts. Use Poker Tracker to review your hands after a session to see if/how you could have played losing hands better and how if/how you could have maximized your gains on winning hands. What type of game(s) are you playing? Find the forum that best suits you. Also if you are multi-tabling - try to focus on single-table play until you are stronger.

Reading and playing is not enough, you have to understand how to properly apply what you read when you play.

Read, Play, Post, Repeat...
Old 11-18-2005, 10:42 AM

So you read SSH and feel you dont improve? This tells me you didn't readit proply and must now go and re-read it.

Now you've re-read it, Continue to play Applying Freecard/handprotection/Equity Value Raises & Bets/Value betting rivers.

Still feel unsure on some? Go to SSH content page and find the chapter, Read, Read, Read, Study it.

Feel unsure still? Google.com the concept and read magazine articles like cardplayer.com

Continue to grind, Every so often filter your PT stats and see if your BB/100 has improved over what it was previously that month. You need a fairly large sample size and running hot/cold will affect this, but it should give you an idea.

Post in micro forums, Read posts and answer without looking, Debate with everyone why you chose the action you did.

Good luck,
I also feel im not progressing at 1/2 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]