Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Borgata WPT: LAG idiot goes awry

Hi everyone,

I've wanted to post one of these for a while, but couldn't think of one that was this horrendous. Now I have one.

I played great poker all of day 1 at the final event of the Borgata Poker Open. I ran good, won plenty of pots with no showdown and minimal risk, and reigned myself in in a few spots where I was getting carried away. I had some tough competition, but built my chips to about 50K going into day 2, with par at around 35K.

I had Chau Giang at my table this morning, and I was very careful. I moved my chips up to 55K, and our table broke. At my new table were Arnold Spee, Alan Boston, Cyndy Violette, and the chip leader for the whole tourney. I folded for 2 rounds, and then this hand came up.

Blinds 300-600, antes 100. Folded to me in LP, I open for 1500 with KdJd. Folded to Spee in the SB, who makes it 7500. Folded back to me. He has 35K more, and I have him covered by 13K. I re-raise to 25,500. Why? Excellent question; glad you asked. Because I'm a fuckwit. In my little donkey brain at the time, I'm thinking, "I have some credibility, coming to the table with a decent stack and folding for 2 rounds. Spee has made some big moves on TV, and my impression of him is he has a bit of an ego problem. I suspect he may be trying to tell the new guy not to mess with his blinds. I will now attempt to represent a very big hand by re-raising." Terrible. He moved in quickly for 17K more. Now I'm getting 4 to 1. I think for a while, and call off 17 of my 30 with Kojak. QQ for Spee; what a surprise! Obviously, I'm relatively happy, since I wanted to see QQ or JJ (or AK; just not AA/KK). Then I had an M of 7 and busted out shortly.

This hand is ugly, and in the wrong forum, but there's not much to say about it tournament-wise. All I can say is that I keep building up chips in these things taking advantage of people's fear of going broke, and then giving them away when I fail to recognize that a big show of strength in spite of this fear means I'm not playing them off their hands. Here is a spot where I had a very solid chance to cash, and go deep into a 10K event, but I imploded with a move I might try once in 20 opportunities. This was such a bad spot for this move, it's ridiculous. Also, while reraising is bad in general, the size of my raise was particularly awful. What a waste. Sobbing now over.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Borgata WPT: LAG idiot goes awry

Sorry man.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:52 PM

at least it wasn't off suit. Then you'd just be a royal jackoff.

...i got nothin folks.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:24 PM

Hey Cero - Sorry to hear that - Spee seems like a douche, I wish you could've busted him.

Question: Any reason for the smallish PF raise?
Old 09-20-2005, 10:18 PM

Hi la,

[ QUOTE ]
Question: Any reason for the smallish PF raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah! It's mainly because I can get away cheaper when they reraise. I like to limit my losses with KJ to about 40K per hand.

Looking over this post again, I realize that the intended purpose was obscured by the whining. My point was that this is how ugly it gets when you let your LAG side go unmediated.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah! It's mainly because I can get away cheaper when they reraise. I like to limit my losses with KJ to about 40K per hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vey nice.

Also, it didn't read like a whine post at all.