Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2005, 12:16 AM

Default 5/10 6-max Prima vs LAG

I'm on the button. I've only been playing for fifteen minutes, but I've seen that UTG (Laaur2) is very LAG - he raises any amount ranging from 20 to 42 with any connector, suited or not, and just about any two suited. He also has a big stack, around 2500.
I saw him minreraise once with A2. He then proceeded to bet aggressively throughout the deal when he caught a deuce, only to loose about 1K to another big stack who called down with A9. Board was something like 982-K-5, can't remember exactly.
Anyway, this hand unfolded:

UTG raises to 20, Hero (500) calls with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], BB calls

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]x[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (x was either a 4 3 or 2)
Pot ~65

BB checks, UTG bets 24, I raise to 72, BB folds, UTG calls

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Pot ~210

UTG checks, Hero checks

River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG bets an amount that puts me all in, Hero calls. UTG shows 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for the straight flush.

Yeah, I know, you're not supposed to post results, but I read it over and didn't expect anyone to believe I would post this if I had won the hand. So..

With the flop that came I planned on going all the way. I had a short stack and I'd seen him run plenty of big bluffs. I checked the turn behind in order to induce a river bluff. I wanted him to think that I had tried to snap off the loose raiser, failed and had given up. (I had taken a pot earlier when I checkraised a button raiser on the flop). I actually WANTED him to bet that river. I figured I'd just have to suck it up if he beat me, considering what I had seen him play before.

Thoughts?
Old 01-25-2005, 12:23 AM

Default Re: 5/10 6-max Prima vs LAG

Because I had discounted the possibility of a runner-runner flush, I overlooked the fact that it would make an 87 straight. Basically, it just went check, hope he'll bluff at it... great, it worked, call.

This would have been easier to swallow if I had seen him lose before. He lost a big pot with a hand I believe he played atrociously, but he won a big one shortly thereafter when he also caught a good river and then made a big overbet. He didn't seem like a random idiot to me. I felt I could outplay him here, and I cursed my bad luck when I saw his hand. And even though he might have bet anyway if he hadn't had it, I don't know that. But I do know he had a straight draw from the flop. I can't help feeling I got played like a sucker.

I've had a terrific week, and now that I have something resembling a bankroll for these games the 500 really doesn't matter that much, but still.
It stings. I won 2 grand earlier today because I got paid off on 2 out of 3 sets, but if it wasn't for the money I'd almost wish I hadn't played today. I won because I had good cards, and I lost because I got outplayed.. damn

Time for bed.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:01 AM

Default Re: 5/10 6-max Prima vs LAG

Even if you'd bet the turn, he'd have still called you and hit. That might have made it possible for you to fold the river, but I don't know.