Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 03:12 AM

Default Killer Poker

I had some questions about the Killer Poker books, the Killer Poker Hold'em Handbook in particular. Is it a beginner book or more of an advanced book? If I have already read:
HOH1 &2
SS2
Caro's Book of Tells
Little Green Book
High-Low Split Poker &
SSHE

would it be of any use to me? I noticed it had great reviews on amazon but wasn't sure of the people doing the reviews were beginners or advanced players. For anyone that has read it, how many stars out of 5 would you give it? Thanks for any help.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:48 AM

Default Re: Killer Poker

A number of people have said bad things about Vorhaus' "Killer Poker" series on this forum. I don't think these are bad books, but they're books that are useful for a very specific audience and not at all useful for others. Many times people say "book X sucks" when what they ought to say is "book X wasn't of any use to me". These are two very different concepts that often get confused on this forum.

If you're playing weak tight or having discipline problems then I think "Killer Poker" may help you achieve more focus and play more aggressively. If these aren't your problems then these books probably won't be useful to you. I have full reviews of some of JV's books here:
http://www.jetcafe.org/~npc/reviews/...ler_poker.html
http://www.jetcafe.org/~npc/reviews/...er_online.html
http://www.jetcafe.org/~npc/reviews/...ker_night.html

One other note. It's my opinion that Vorhaus is probably the most skilled writer of all the strategic poker book authors. Some very skilled writers have written poker entertainment books, and several strategic poker writers are quite competent, but I think JV is the best of this crowd. Even if his books don't help me, I enjoy reading them.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If you're playing weak tight or having discipline problems then I think "Killer Poker" may help you achieve more focus and play more aggressively.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great ideas on this subject.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the reply. Doesn't look like these books will be any use for me.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:18 PM

I was unimpressed by either of Vorhaus' books compared to other books that are around.

However, to make any recommendations as to what would help, you need to provide some more data. What are you playing or wanting to learn to play? Ring table, or Tournament? Limit, Pot Limit, or NL? Any games other than Holdem? Poker Psychology? General poker theory or something with hand examples for a specific game?

The reason for the question is that the books you have read are somewhat spread in this sense, HOH is largely if not entirely NL tournament, SS2 is mostly NL ring, TOP is general poker theory, Caro is general but leans toward ring. SSHE is almost entirely a limit ring book. The other 2 I have not read.

Happy to help, need more info.

Doc