Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-13-2005, 04:18 PM

Default ($11)(Party) 4-handed, A9o on button, 100/200 blinds

Blinds are 100/200 and will go up in 4 hands.

We have been 4-handed for 11 hands and I've pushed in 3 of those 11 hands without being called. Just previous to that I had pushed 3 or 4 times in a row and was never called. The only hand they saw me show down in the last 25 hands was AA when I called an all-in and busted the 5th player.
Nobody is being overaggressive, but I'm the only one that is in all-in or fold mode (I've been short stacked mostly).

CO folds to me, and I have A9o on the button with the smallest stack with 1710 (but not by much).

Looking at SnGPT, the EV of pushing is about even (22.9%fold/23.94%push, avg calling range). That is a pretty small edge.

What do you do in this situation? Calling just begs one of the blinds to go over the top. Raising 2.5x or 3x really hurts my stack if called and I have to fold on flop. And pushing, of course, commits all your chips on a marginal hand (I've pushed with much worse then this in the last hands of course, but I had a much smaller stack and had to given the situation). Folding with A9o here seems too tight though. I find myself in a lot of situations like this and don't feel any too comfortable with any of the choices. I'm looking for some feedback from successful SnG players for this situation. Do you like to call, raise a small amount, push, or (unlikely) fold here?

Total number of players : 4
Seat 1: Hero (1710)
Seat 3: Villan 1 (1778)
Seat 4: Villan 2 (2736)
Seat 10: Villan 3 (1776)
Villan 1 posts small blind (100)
Villan 2 posts big blind (200)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ 9h, As ]
Villan 3 folds.
Hero???