Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 05:43 PM

Default Delayed SB vs BB steal.

This isn't strictly short handed, but comes up much more often short handed, so I'm posting here.

I've noticed a good number of players, even tight players, visciously defend their blinds to the point of insta-calling (or raising) after the flop. This is great with a good hand, but makes hands like Q9o difficult to navigate on the later streets when you miss.

However, these same folks will fold the flop fairly readily if you just complete in the SB then auto-bet the flop. They seem to give you credit for hitting something.

My targets for this are low PFR types, things like 40/5/1.0, 35/4/1.6, etc.

Thoughts? Do others use this delayed steal pattern?
Old 12-21-2005, 05:52 PM

Default Re: Delayed SB vs BB steal.

I try this quite often against this type of opponent, with my 78 type hands that I'm not looking to build a pot with oop. They generally give you credit for something, even when they think your stealing they will give up easily on the tiny pot.
Can be quite fun in the bb, when you have checked a weak holding and the sb tries it against you.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't strictly short handed, but comes up much more often short handed, so I'm posting here.

I've noticed a good number of players, even tight players, visciously defend their blinds to the point of insta-calling (or raising) after the flop. This is great with a good hand, but makes hands like Q9o difficult to navigate on the later streets when you miss.

However, these same folks will fold the flop fairly readily if you just complete in the SB then auto-bet the flop. They seem to give you credit for hitting something.

My targets for this are low PFR types, things like 40/5/1.0, 35/4/1.6, etc.

Thoughts? Do others use this delayed steal pattern?

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect this has a lot to do with sample size and the tendancy to notice patterns. The same people who always defend their blind and then raise the flop, are either so aggresive they will still do that even if you just complete, and then bet. Or they are raising the flop in the steal situation beacuse they think they have something, in which case, these people still dont know where the fold button is and just call your complete/donk.

I think the majority of the time, if they fold to your donk, its with a hand that missed the flop, and either would have folded to your steal, or folded the flop when you led out after the steal.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the majority of the time, if they fold to your donk, its with a hand that missed the flop, and either would have folded to your steal, or folded the flop when you led out after the steal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering this too. Since I never see the showdown, it's hard to judge. One guy I did this with last night has a fold BB to steal of 0% over about 700 hands.

Yet, if you donked the flop he'd fold about 1/2 the time. He was the major motivator for the post.