Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 02:17 AM

Default PF Question About Coldcalling UTG Raises On The Button

So I'm Sitting at Party Poker's BBJ where every hand the table buys a 50 cent lottery ticket. So its Seven handed and UTG raises. We've been playing together for 30 hands and he's played about ten of 'em. Pokertracker also tells me he hasn't raised yet. So UTG raises UTG and I have AQs on the button. So pretty I don't wan' to fold. The BB seems loose so I call. YEs or no
/

Now that i Think about it this probably belongs in small stakes. Move please!!
Old 12-11-2005, 03:20 AM

Default Re: PF Question About Coldcalling UTG Raises On The Button

I'm just gonna tell you what I would do. If I was going to play I would 3 bet, I certainly wouldnt be crazy about this play, but I do think its better than calling. If you just call you are going to miss this flop around 2/3rds of the time, and you will have to fold. This means if the villain has AQ,AJ,AT, and the flop comes rag rag rag, he will end up with the pot instead of you, but if you invest one extra small bet preflop and reraise instead of Cold calling now you get to win all those pots, and if your against the right opponent youll even win the pot if he has AK and folds unimproved on the turn. For one extra small bet I think this advantage is worth it. If however the villain is an extremely tight raiser, folding would be better than 3 betting or coldcalling, but you dont really have a strong read on the villains raising range so I would 3 bet it.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:22 AM

30 hands isn't enough to know anything. Both 3-betting and cold calling are both fine here. I think folding stinks.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:22 AM

Yes 3-betting is probably a beter play, but I wanted to see if there was any merit to calling and letting the blinds come in. What if UTG was like a 20/10/2 player and there were 10 players instead of 7. Would it ever be right to coldcall with AQs on the Button with loose blinds against a UTG raise?