Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-31-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Bank Roll question for mid/high stakes NLHE

Ive been playing NLHE on party for about 2-3 years. Im thinking of making it a full time job. Ive been playing NL 200 mainly occasionally stepping up to NL 400 and NL 600. To make this a full time job what would you suggest for a starting bankroll and approximately how many hours a week should I consider playing. Im only looking for around 800-1400 profit. Im a profittable player and have made money at this level for a few years now. Any thoughts are definately appreciated.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Bank Roll question for mid/high stakes NLHE

try posting this in the mid stakes NL section you might get more responses
Old 12-31-2005, 03:39 PM

Ill do that, was hoping to get some advice from some of the higher stakes players but thanks for pointing me in the right direction
Old 12-31-2005, 03:51 PM

IMO to be able to play your A game at all times I believe you should have a BR of 50 buy ins at your current game.

So if you want to play NL 200 you should have $10,000.

This still holds even if you want to multitable up to 10 tables.

Some might think 50 buyins is conservative, but I feel that it is much better to be overrolled.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:54 PM

I normally play 2-4 tables at once. Ive also found that the party games at this level seem to be easier than any other site, does this hold true for most of you as well. I have played on many other sites but I seem no reason to stray away from party and play against better competition
Old 12-31-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some might think 50 buyins is conservative

[/ QUOTE ]

This is way too conservative for someone who says he has been a winning player for 2-3 years. If OP is running even a remote risk of dropping 50 buy-ins in full ring 200-600NL games, he should keep his day job.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:10 PM

We're talking about going pro here, Rococo. I don't think the risk of dropping 50-buy-ins is the real issue here. You want to have enough behind you to be financially safe if you go on a bad run unable to win anything for a while. You won't have to move down stakes for a long time.

Next, it's quite possible to lose 10-15 buy-ins on a very bad streak. The likelihood is low, but with matters like this it should certainly be considered. With 30 buy-ins, that's disastrous. With 50, it's manageable. Huge difference there. It's alla bout the seriousness of the situation. If you have a 60-40 on your money in one NL hand, you'll always take it. If you have a 60-40 on getting getting a load of money against getting shot in the head, I doubt you'll participate.