Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 12-24-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Remote desktop control/shadowing

Anyone know any software that lets you view and/or control (viewing is more important) someone's desktop remotely, i.e. from another location? For example, I install the software on my friend's computer and I can watch exactly what he does when he logs on?? Please let me know if you have any suggestions on software that does this...I'm a total newbie. Thanks!
Old 12-24-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Remote desktop control/shadowing

WinVNC
Old 12-24-2005, 10:35 PM

I assume you and friend are running Window$, which has RDP and builtin remote control software. You will need to open up the firewall on the side that you are connecting to, to allow RDP from your IP. Check the router/firewall makers web site for how. Search the M$ site for how to on the RDP.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:24 AM

I work in tech support and we use a bunch of tools to dial into other computers.

Most popular is Symantec PCAnywhere, but you will have to pay for it. Unless you get it by other means.

RealVNC, TightVNC, UltraVNC are all good, but you don't want to leave them on all the time since security wise they aren't very good. UltraVNC is nice since it lets you do file transfers.

WebEX and GoToMyPC are nice as well. Have to pay for these though. But these are great since you don't have to worry about the firewall, it uses the http protocol instead.

Remote desktop is good (only comes with xp pro though), but you basically kick off whomever is logged on the computer...although I have heard Windows 2003 has an option to not do this.

There is also Remote Assistant that comes with XP home and pro...not in love with it, but it does the job.

Although I have only used this a few times for my use, there is another free one called Simple Desktop from Moog software. Its alright, has some neat features...got PC Anywhere soon after that though so unable to comment on it too much.