Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-13-2005, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Party 500K Hand, Flopped Full House

[ QUOTE ]
Firstly, interesting scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Glad someone else was intrigued/confused.

[ QUOTE ]
Secondly, I prefer calling. I'd rather have T700 chips left and be alive than busting. If you reraise and your hand is good you double up. If you call the raise than
you have around T2300 if you win. Against an unknown player
I'd rather live another day rather than have T700 more in chips. With T700 in chips with the blinds still small you
are certainly not dead meat. Perhaps I'm a weak tighty,
but I'll assume my opponent is not blind and he is aware that the board is paired. If so than about all you can beat is pocket Fours.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the line I immediately thought was best, but this was after busting. I just wanted a sanity check to make sure that merely calling the raise on the river was not too weak-tight or passing on opportunities to accumulate chips early in a tournament.

What I realized is this... winning those last 500 chips during Level 1 of a tournament will do almost nothing in helping me win. On the flipside, losing those last 500 chips and being knocked out of the tournament gives me exactly 0% chance of making any money in the tournament.

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer leading on the flop. I think you'll find by betting out you'll win bigger pots in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this a lot. Besides winning a huge pot from a naked J, I think this would also make drawing hands who are afraid to lead on the flop pay more in the longrun. This is a solid takeway from this hand.

Thanks! Good stuff.