Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-30-2005, 06:26 PM

Default Nitty? 2 hands

Hand #1-- stacks 80$, .25/.50 NL.

I have A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in SB, 5 limpers. No reads--2nd hand.

Pot 3$
flop A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
-- I bet 3$, button calls

turn 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
-- I check, villian bets 4$, I CR to 17$, he calls

River 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
-- I check...

Hand #2-- stacks 50$, no reads (different table)

I have A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] UTG, raise to 2$. Loosish button calls, BB calls

Flop A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
-- checks all around

Turn 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
-- pot 6$
-- I bet 3$, BB calls

River 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
-- BB checks, I'm thinking weak Ace
-- I bet 5$, he CR's to 25$, I fold

comments?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Nitty? 2 hands

Hand 1 -- Did I misread it or did you just check the river with top 2-pair after check-raising the turn? If so, don't do that again with this dry of a board. Sure 89 has you smoked, but you are way ahead of any of villain's other holdings.

Hand 2 --- Keep betting until you get raised. Your check and weak turn bet does not look like AK. River, your bet is less than half the pot and looks real weak. A good player would raise you there with any ace.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:47 PM

Hand 2-- I see no reason to bet that flop. It's WA/WB, so might as well check to make everyone think I've got crap.

Hand 1-- I saw the possibility of a really badly played bottom set, or 89, or lesser 2 pair. For some reason, I thought a worse 2 pair would bet the river, but I'd save money against 89.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2-- I see no reason to bet that flop. It's WA/WB, so might as well check to make everyone think I've got crap.

Hand 1-- I saw the possibility of a really badly played bottom set, or 89, or lesser 2 pair. For some reason, I thought a worse 2 pair would bet the river, but I'd save money against 89.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do see that slow-playing Hand 2 made you susceptible to a raise from someone with any two cards? Bet the flop. I agree it is WA/WB and pot control is good, but do you really want ot project that the flop totally missed you? You do not want people to catch up and you do not want a small pp raising that weak river bet. If someone has an 8, find out before it gets expensive. An ace with a worse kicker will probably call you down.

Hand 1- I think you are seeing monsters under the bed (ie don't play scared). If villain plays monsters this passively consider yourself fortunate. I would lose some money (and it wouldn't bother me)if my AT wasn't good here. You have a hand that is bet worthy. No way villain bets or raises unless he has the mortal nuts with your check raise on turn, so if he raises back you can then consider (I only said consider) a fold.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:02 PM

I thought a flop check on hand 2 was pretty standard. Normal CB then?

How much to bet on river in hand 1, and do you fold to an all in?
Old 11-30-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought a flop check on hand 2 was pretty standard. Normal CB then?

How much to bet on river in hand 1, and do you fold to an all in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hand 2 - CB should be standard 80% or so of the time (I should the add an of course, it depends as well)

Hand 1 - I think $25 (I think half the pot) on the river as a blocker(if you think villain is up to something) or closer to pot if you think you are ahead. If pushed, it is read dependent, and you think villain might has the goods so I would say it would be fine to fold (however, I probably call and expect to see AK or worse 2pr many times)