Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 10-31-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Indiana has been banned. If you care, vote in OOT

Indy is ahead on the poll( once again sng pwns ooters, bwhahaha)
Old 10-31-2005, 10:43 PM

anonymous proxy?? pretty simple stuff, you never can really be banned from here. there are free ones, and if that seemed like a bad idea use neighbor's unencrypted wireless router. no, you couldn't really ever be banned from this place.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could create another account, but how do I mask the IP address? Indy knows poker, not computers.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

roam from internet cafe to internet cafe, throw in an occasional library...takes a lot of travel, but its worth it just to post in OOT...blah
Old 11-01-2005, 01:15 AM

FWIW, and based on my sometimes not-so-great-memory:

When you log on your ISP assigns you a number. They keep a record of who, when, etc., for info to catch perps and pervs. The numbers used to be random, so when you logged off your number went back into the "pool."

If you have DSL and an ISP but never turn off your computer, your number stays the same. If you shut down and then power up again, you get a new number.

If you have a direct line (T100?) your number never changes, ever.

There are a few places on the net where you can verify your ID number. I think the sites offering Firewalls offer to check your system and in the process they show you your number as part of their pitch. If you want to check into your number(s), you might visit a couple of these at different times for verification.

Hope this helped.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:26 AM

www.whatismyip.com
Old 11-01-2005, 01:29 AM

You could google "IP spoofing" or "anonymous web surfing."

Don't do anything bad with this knowledge anyone.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who is posting in OOT by free will has something wrong with them. The density of moronity in that subforum threatens to collapse the universe.

[/ QUOTE ]

While there is a lot of that, there's also a fair amount of entertaining stuff from a lot of the more enjoyable posters here. The ring game forums (maybe not small stakes) tend to actually use OOT and the like as their off-topic forums, whereas here nobody bothers.

I haven't been reading STT as much recently, so I haven't really seen any Indiana posts here, but based on his OOT content and [censored]'s recent stand, I'm not surprised at all that he's up for banning.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
www.whatismyip.com

[/ QUOTE ]

And now it's easier/faster than ever. ty

btw, how was my memory? I'm asking because you seem a lot more current than me.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:57 AM

Depends on what kind of connection you have. Dial-up your IP address is going to change pretty much every time you connect. Your ISP has a pool of IP addresses that, in general, get randomly assigned. Cable connections are leased (not in a payment sense, but in a technical sense), so you'll have your IP address for a certain period of time (days/weeks/months) before it gets released and you're assigned a new one. My cable provider generally just renews my IP, so it hasn't changed in the past 6 months or so. This is all behind the scenes stuff that you don't even have to think about really.

If your IP is banned, getting to 2+2 is as simple as using a proxy, or anonymizer in cool-speak. This place is so big there's nothing they could really do to stop that unless they have a huge grudge against the offender. Considering that [censored] reconsidered the ban in the first place, that grudge almost certainly isn't there. Looks like Indy got back anyway so it's all moot.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:09 AM

again, ty