Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-11-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Re: 1 Beer A Day For The Rest Of My Life

One a day is fine. Two is probably better. If you want to drink more than this, or are just paranoid, start taking milk thistle daily.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:28 PM

What, then, is too much? Is 2-3 drinks a day harmful, or a sign of alcoholism? If so, time to pick up some milk thistle.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What, then, is too much? Is 2-3 drinks a day harmful, or a sign of alcoholism? If so, time to pick up some milk thistle.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can drink 7 a day because you want to and not be an alcoholic so I don't think that has anything to do with it. I would imagine 3 beers a day for life would make you pretty fat pretty quickly though unless the rest of your diet is great.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What I've read is that when you start getting into 3 drinks per day or more, you start to outweigh the benefits with detriments.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:29 PM

I have heard that only 1 glass fo wine per day is beneficial. 1 beer/1 shot, is not is not going to be detremiental, but you wont get the same health benefits as you would if you stick to 1-2 glasses of wine...anybody know?
Old 10-11-2005, 05:32 PM

I read somewhere that beer was shown to have health benefits as well.

But don't trust me... do some research.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have heard that only 1 glass fo wine per day is beneficial. 1 beer/1 shot, is not is not going to be detremiental, but you wont get the same health benefits as you would if you stick to 1-2 glasses of wine...anybody know?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I believe the studies were done with wine.

To the OP, 1 beer per day will have minimal impact either way. If you enjoy drinking a single beer, then by all means do so.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Alcohol alone has been shown to have both positive and negative effects. The majority of the health benefits you're getting from wine are from the polyphenols, a group of chemicals that function as powerful anti-oxidants.

You can, of course, get anti-oxidants elsewhere, and pretty easily. Brightly colored vegetables, blueberries, many other fruits and vegetables, and right out of the vitamin bottle.

Overall, you'd do better without alcohol, but a single drink a day isn't too bad for you, and if it's red wine, you're getting a nice healthy dose of anti-oxidants. Don't forget the calories involved, though. Most people would probably get more value out of cutting down their amount of salt and sugar intake than worrying about the occasional beer.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:16 AM

One beer a day is nothing, really. That can't be unhealthy. Since I got interested in quality beers (May 2003) and taking notes, I've had 1,090 different beers. That alone is well over one beer a day. Add to that the week-ends where I toss down ten or fifteen pints of shitty Carlsberg (that's appr. 52 week-ends a year) and the fact that I'm as healthy as man can be and you got your answer. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Beer is g00t!!~==!
Old 10-12-2005, 06:25 AM

The better question is whether having double digit numbers of beers 3-5 nights/wk for all 4 yrs of college will have lasting negative effects on the liver...I sure hope not [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]