Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 04-02-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Tech question about RAM (mostly OT)

I'm looking for recommendations about how to best optimize my computer. Specifically, I want to increase the amount of physical memory my machine actually uses. When multitasking, my CPU usage is regularly at 100%, yet over three days of heavy use my peak commit charge is only 628,128 out of 4.5 million KB. My current setup is this:

Windows XP Professional
AMD 64 3200 CPU
1.5 GB of PC3200 RAM
10,000 RPM SATA HDD(OS is on this)
7,200 RPM SATA HDD
7,200 RPM IDE HDD (3GB Pagefile is on this)

I guess my questions are: should I reduce, move, or eliminate my pagefile since none of it needs to be used? Does anyone have any other suggestions to increase windows physical memory usage and reduce CPU dependance?

Most people on these boards seem to recommend at least 1GB of memory for people getting new machines, but despite my best efforts I cannot use that much. All input would be appreciated.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:30 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Tech question about RAM (mostly OT)

[ QUOTE ]
Most people on these boards seem to recommend at least 1GB of memory for people getting new machines, but despite my best efforts I cannot use that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

most users can't. "buy as much memory as you can afford" has been around since the stone ages, but 512MB is enough for most people. 1GB is enough for multitabling/multitasking/browsing/etc. people also push cpu speed over all, but hard drives have a more meaningful impact on more modern setups. i would rather have a 2.4ghz cpu and a raptor than a 2.8ghz cpu and a 7200rpm 2mb d740x.

as for the page file, i have run 1GB without one for years. feel free to disable it and see how it goes.

for more enlightened discussions on these matters, see the forums at www.storagereview.com. posts by the user named 'cas' are particularly good.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:05 PM

I found this article useful on page files:
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php
Old 04-02-2005, 04:11 PM

"i would rather have a 2.4ghz cpu and a raptor than a 2.8ghz cpu and a 7200rpm 2mb d740x . "

I'm shopping for a new tower. So, some terms are unknown to me. I'm guessing that the response time with a slower chip is lower with a better HD(raptor brandname?)

For PT, PV, 8- tables and gaming(Wife's RollercoasterTycoon), what is the best HD(and chip for that matter) whatever the price? Also, what will get the job done for my needs?

Thanks for anyone's help. I'm a little dim when it comes to computers, so try to be gentle and use small words.

MS Sunshine
Old 04-02-2005, 04:21 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

the maxtor diamondmax 10 series is tops right now in terms of holistic bang for the buck: speed, size, acoustics. the western digital raptor wd740gd is faster, but it tops out at 74gb and commands a much higher price per gigabyte. most power users should still be pleased with the dm10, that's what i would recommend for you.

www.zipzoomfly.com is a great vendor for hard drives, they pack them better than most and that means a lot in terms of reliability. prices are also reasonable to good on most other things and 2-day shipping is priced in. brutish packing/shipping can often result in doa drives, or at least drives with shorter lifespans. www.newegg.com is widely regarded as the top general vendor for computer stuff.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking for recommendations about how to best optimize my computer. Specifically, I want to increase the amount of physical memory my machine actually uses. When multitasking, my CPU usage is regularly at 100%, yet over three days of heavy use my peak commit charge is only 628,128 out of 4.5 million KB. My current setup is this:

Windows XP Professional
AMD 64 3200 CPU
1.5 GB of PC3200 RAM
10,000 RPM SATA HDD(OS is on this)
7,200 RPM SATA HDD
7,200 RPM IDE HDD (3GB Pagefile is on this)

I guess my questions are: should I reduce, move, or eliminate my pagefile since none of it needs to be used? Does anyone have any other suggestions to increase windows physical memory usage and reduce CPU dependance?

Most people on these boards seem to recommend at least 1GB of memory for people getting new machines, but despite my best efforts I cannot use that much. All input would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, it seems like you have plenty of fire-power with your PC. if your PC is at 100% CPU use all the time, I think you may have some malicious virsu/adware.

SamJack
Old 04-02-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To me, it seems like you have plenty of fire-power with your PC. if your PC is at 100% CPU use all the time, I think you may have some malicious virsu/adware.

SamJack

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 99% sure that's not it. I keep a pretty tidy machine.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:05 PM

Then what programs are you running that are giving you 100% cpu utilisation?
Old 04-02-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Specifically, I want to increase the amount of physical memory my machine actually uses.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd be hard pressed to tell your box to use more memory. You might try setting your system up for "background tasks" but trying to tweak how Windows uses memory is just asking for trouble.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess my questions are: should I reduce, move, or eliminate my pagefile since none of it needs to be used?

[/ QUOTE ]

NO! Do not remove your pagefile. This is not simply used as "slow memory" as some people think.

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have any other suggestions to increase windows physical memory usage and reduce CPU dependance?

[/ QUOTE ]

RAM and CPU are pretty much mutually exclusive. One is storage and one is power. However, if your box is at 100%, you might also need to look at other possible problems. Make sure you don't have any spy-ware on your box. Use Windows task manager to check out apps that are using a lot of resources. What does your load look like when nothing is running?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A gig of RAM is just nice to have. As other posters have said, 512MB is more than enough. But more importantly, I don't understand why you believe that using all of your RAM is critical. I have 1GB of RAM in my box and barely ever use it all (except for playing something system intensive like Half-Life 2 or Doom 3).

Don't worry about it, and be happy your box isn't swapping like the dickens. If you really feel that strongly about it, drop it down to 512MB and send me the gig you have left over [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then what programs are you running that are giving you 100% cpu utilisation?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm usually running at least 5 of the following:

Pokertracker (updating every 2 minutes)
iTunes
Between 5 and 20 windows of poker
DVD applications (either ripping, encoding, writing, or watching)
WinTV
Firefox
Thunderbird
AIM
Word
File transfer clients (usually about 25 transfers)

Also, I have 3 monitors running and I believe some extra CPU performance goes toward managing my displays.

[ QUOTE ]
What does your load look like when nothing is running?

[/ QUOTE ]

0% CPU usage, about 250 of 1500MB physical RAM used.

[ QUOTE ]
But more importantly, I don't understand why you believe that using all of your RAM is critical.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not critical, but if I can use more of it to improve performance, I'd like to. If the consensus is that my setup is optimal or close to optimal, so be it.