Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-26-2005, 06:53 AM

Default visiting edinburgh

i just got off my plane and into my hotel with some friends in edinburgh. its 5:47 am us time and 10:47 am here. i am approaching 24 hrs without sleep and haven't eaten since 5pm last night. i am about to get a huge meal and crash, but while i do, tell me what there is to do in the city. good bars, the worthwhile neighborhoods to shop in/buy [censored] in. i have 5 days, some advice? i dont have any real idea where in the city i am but im pretty sure im relatively near the center.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:54 AM

Default Re: visiting edinburgh

Did any planning go into this trip? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-26-2005, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did any planning go into this trip? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

im in edinburgh for a sports thing, so yes there was planning. i just need some highlights and to be pointed in the right direction. i plan on getting fairly (very very) crunked, i just need to know where i should do so. and i dont want to spend 3 hours walking around [censored] parts and then realize "oh the cool stuff is there". anything you have people.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:04 AM

Edinburgh is great. It is a shame you are there at the worst time of the years. They have what I believe is the world's biggest stage festival in August (stand up, theatre, etc.). Check out Edinburgh castle. It is about £8. Near the castle are a couple of distilleries, if you are interested in Whisky then you would like that. Try out the Scottish 'cuisine'. Haggis is really nice imo. You should also try out the pride of scotland: deep fried mars bar. I've never had one myself but if you put in an exerting sporting session you should have burned up enough calories to treat yourself. Post a trip report.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:44 AM

Hey dude welcome to our cold miserable city [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

All your main shopping is on Princes Street. Can't miss it bang in the centre below the castle.. I wouldn't try and go out today though it'll be mobbed. For touristy and crafty shops theres the High Street (aka the royal mile) this is just off princes st and is part of the old town.

The bus tours leaving from Waverly Bridge are popular with tourists. This is also just off Princes St.

Good Bars well your spoiled for choice there is nothing but bars in Edinburgh [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

A personal fav for cheap drink / decent crowd is the Standing Order on George Street. George street the whole length has some of our better bars. This sits behind Princes St. I ain't been clubbing in a year or so so i'm pretty sure its changed completely. If you can't find any try Subway West End on Lothian Road It was always the place we'd go when everywhere else was full... It ain't the classiest place but its safe.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:25 AM

As a Southerner transplanted to Glasgow 6 months ago....
IMHO....Stay away from haggis!!!!
Old 12-26-2005, 10:56 AM

The huge park in the middle of the city is pretty cool to walk around once. The whole area around the castle is very interesting too.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a Southerner transplanted to Glasgow 6 months ago....
IMHO....Stay away from haggis!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

disregard this - suck it up and enjoy your haggis b/c 10yrs from now people won't ask about the castle but they will ask how you liked haggis
Old 12-26-2005, 03:37 PM

Haggis is g00t tbh!

Haggis in batter is better!!

Enjoy yourself
Old 12-26-2005, 10:11 PM

Haggis is great. I visited a friend in Glasgow last year, met up with him at the central bus station. He wanted to go for lunch, asked me what I wanted. I said Haggis, and like a dumb tourist expected it to be readily available. It wasn't. Apart from on Burn's night it is not widely eaten in Scotland. He had to ring up his dad to find us some place to eat Haggis. It tasted very good. Normal meaty taste, a bit like mince meat actually.