Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Too weak? (22s)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter

MP1 (t745)
MP2 (t965)
CO (t935)
Button (t630)
SB (t700)
BB (t775)
UTG (t850)
Hero (t2400)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t30, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t125</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls t95.

Flop: (t295) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 calls t620 (All-In), Hero folds.

He's telling me he has QQ-AA, but a strong opponent might push w/AK here. Is folding too weak? I've been playing more tables at once lately, and I think it's causing me to miss out on some chips early that would help me on the bubble, so I'm trying to pay attention to my level 2-3 play.

I flagged this as I was playing as an uncomfortable fold, but looking back at it, it seems completely standard. Am I wrong?

Also, feel free to rip me about limping preflop. I've stopped limping with pairs smaller than 9s early. Should I stop doing it with 9s as well?
Old 12-13-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Too weak? (22s)

Eh, he may be on a flush draw, but I'm okay with letting this one go.

I know of a poster or two who will push a flop like this with an overpair as well.

Limping preflop is fine, you can play it either way. (I like to raise it, but I don't think limping is a problem)
Old 12-13-2005, 04:03 PM

I don't like calling the PF raise. I think I'd let it go, but I can see raising as a possibility, especially if you have a read on the raiser. When you first limp in, you're playing for set value. When he raises, he's made your implied odds much worse.

The problem with calling the all-in bet is that even a flush draw with no pair is a favorite against you, if Villain's two clubs are higher than 9. Also if he has two clubs, and one of them is the Jack, he's got you absolutely crushed.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've stopped limping with pairs smaller than 9s early.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Do you mean just in EP? In the 22s, I would play all pairs down to 22 if I thought I could limp along and had proper odds to hit my set.

In the hand you posted, I think I would probably lay down to the pf raise. This hand is about to suck, starting with when you have to play OOP on the flop, as you found out.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've stopped limping with pairs smaller than 9s early.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Do you mean just in EP? In the 22s, I would play all pairs down to 22 if I thought I could limp along and had proper odds to hit my set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops. Sorry, I meant early position, not early in the tourney. I happily limp any small pair when I can. I also call annoying minraises; lately; though, I've tightened up what pairs I'll play in earlier seats, especially UTG and UTG+1.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:17 PM

I raise 99 here with your stack. I probably call this bet with your stack as well.

At a normal stack size folding smaller pairs in level 2 EP is fine and I think correct. I even do this in the 1000 chippers.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:18 PM

In this position I'd probably fold 22-66. I'd limp with 9s and fold to the raise in a HU pot OOP.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:43 PM

With a healthy M, I like raising 99 as well. I think it defines opponents' hands better. It can end up being an early blind steal or if not, I think that generally, the only hands that CALL that have you badly beat are TT and JJ. You may get calls from underpairs or overcards but I think a re-raise indicates QQ-AA and you can exit without having to play OOP.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:07 PM

Is healthy M a cereal?
Old 12-13-2005, 08:05 PM

No. That's Preparation H.