Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2005, 02:09 PM

Default How should have I played this hand? Stars $500k Guaranteed

I think I know the answer as I've ran through it with some friends, but I'm looking for other comments. I hope this doesn't just come off as a bad beat story.

Blinds:10-20
Hero:2620
Villian in small blind: 2500

Hero is UTG with KK.
Hero calls bb 20.
One or two meaningless limpers.
Small blind makes it 200.
Hero reraises to 600.
Others fold to small blind who calls the 400.
Pot is now around 1260.

Flop comes 2-3-3 with club draw. I have the K of clubs.
Villian leads out for 500.
Hero raises it to 1000.
Villian reraises.
Hero pushes all in.
Turn is 8d.
River is the Qc.

I believe that I should have flat called the preflop raise of 200 and/or flat called the 500 on the flop and pushed on the turn.

Thoughts?
Old 02-28-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: How should have I played this hand? Stars $500k Guaranteed

I would have raised a bit more preflop, maybe to 700, but that's of little consequence. On the flop, why the min raise, did you think he was going to push if you did that? If you think min-raising will get all the money in here then that's great, that's what you want. If he does have clubs though, you're letting him off easy. If he has QQ he's probably calling anyways, so I say just push when he bets 500 on the flop. OK, now that I've rambled this much, maybe someone can state this better than me...

Gavin Griffin
Old 02-28-2005, 02:17 PM

In this spot, given you limp reraised I would just call the flop provisionally putting him on a smaller pair. He can then either bet himself onto the rail on the turn or I'll do it for him.

Personally, though, I'd just raise PF as level 1 or 2 isn't really the time to mess around with anything short of AA.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:18 PM

Get it all-in on the flop like you did. Its hard for me to imagine he has the flush draw here since you have the K of clubs meaning he can't have AKs. So, you don't need to shutout a hand like the nut flush draw which is drawing to 12 outs against you by calling the flop and pushing the turn. He either has AA, QQ or JJ, (AA is less likely) and by all indications he isn't folding now so let him get it in with a hand drawing to two outs.

I'm guessing he had QQ and sucked out. Sorry.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:39 PM

I have an issue with this just because even if I have JJ here and disbelieve the limp/reraise (or if he's a fish, has 66 and thinks it's the best hand) the instant flop all in isn't gonna get called very often.

On the other hand, if he just calls most people will at least think about following through on the turn.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:48 PM

I hear what you're saying and maybe you're right. I'm just of the opinion that the good player who gets called here is done with the hand no matter what, and the bad player is getting all-in no matter what, so why give the chance of the good player to suck-out at no risk or the bad player to either catch his card, or catch an action killer that lets him find a fold.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the replys. The odd thing is when I posted this today, I thought about what would Gavin say, and he was the first to reply. Very twilight zone.

A friend of mine told me that I should have gotten away from the hand "too early to go out".

In hindsight, I wish I would have just flat called the flop raise of 500. That should have sent up a stop sign to him. It is possible he may have been done with his hand there and he still had 1400 left to continue. If he checks the turn, I'd jam and put the pressure back on.

Oh well...I did win a $11 rebuy on Saturday, so that softens the blow.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:16 PM

Yes he did have QQ.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In hindsight, I wish I would have just flat called the flop raise of 500. That should have sent up a stop sign to him. It is possible he may have been done with his hand there and he still had 1400 left to continue. If he checks the turn, I'd jam and put the pressure back on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your thinking is flawed here. You are being results oriented. You got the money in as a huge favorite on the flop and got unlucky. "Cards Happen"-MLG

You should be happy you got all the money in with such a huge edge.

Gavin G
Old 02-28-2005, 05:01 PM

Gavin- That makes sense. I didn't have a problem with it until my friend called me and gave me hell for getting knocked out 10 minutes into it. This was on the heels of me boasting all night Saturday about my $11 rebuy win.