Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 11:22 PM

Default Re: God article

[ QUOTE ]
It's good to know a psychologist gave Jesus a clean bill of health 2000 years after his death.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not very well known but a medic in Roman times did a psychological analysis - or the ancient Roman equivalent - of Jesus while in custody and found him to be "in sound mind and spirit" despite his outlandish claims. This was documented about 20 years later by the famous Roman historian Tactius , presumably using actual records (Tactius is know to be very reliable as a historian). I'm assuming the modern analysis is based on those documents.

They also may have analysed independent (non biblical) historical accounts of Jesus's life (of which there are many - the most well known being the book "Of Loaves and Fishes - The Savior of Mankind" written by Ameer Tukad in 43 AD, well preserved because of the use of papyrus fibre. The book is currently on display at the the Phüktârd museum in Prague, Germany)
Old 12-18-2005, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The book is currently on display at the the Phüktârd museum in Prague, Germany.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are those dang Nazis at it again?
Old 12-18-2005, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Are those dang Nazis at it again?

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I'm sure the people of Prague are really happy to be German again [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Musta been a stealth invasion.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Prague, Austria

[/ QUOTE ]

Happy now? I checked my paragraph for inaccuracies but I guess one slipped through the net. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2005, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Prague, Austria

[/ QUOTE ]

Happy now? I checked my paragraph for inaccuracies but I guess one slipped through the net. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Close enough. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

RJT
Old 12-18-2005, 11:20 AM

"And on the morrow, when they were come from Bethany, he was hungry: And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not yet. And Jesus answered and said unto it, No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever."

Doesn't sound like a very rational guy to me.

Phil, I assume your entire post is a joke?
Old 12-18-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Prague, Austria

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey I live in Austria, better tell em in Prague that they are Austrian again. Been a rough day for the people of Prague, first the Germans now us. Who's next? The Russians maybe? If we go further with this thread maybe the people of the Czech Republic will rise up again and get rid of all the multiple invaders!!! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2005, 08:55 PM

Well, you're right that his essay isn't likely to cure any religious person from fictitious beliefs. But the guy does nail it. Perhaps the rational thinking people of this world have long been too polite and accepting of those with ridiculous belief systems. I don't mean to sound like a hard liner, but..

If it gives you comfort to believe that an invisible being is lurking amongst the TRILLIONS of stars and focusing in on one tiny planet in one small galaxy out of billions, so that you can personally go to some special invisible place when you die, that's fine. Whatever gets you through the night. We should all be tolerant of such beliefs. They have a right to that belief. They can all get together and conregrate in their churches, temples, and synogues, etc. But leave this [censored] the [censored] out of politics and important world matters!!
Old 12-19-2005, 11:22 PM

really, are you folks in some frat house, caf, or bs session at a coffee house? does anyone (i guess you readers must) honestly think these sorts of ramblings are fit for a forum on science and philosophy. i have seen as good on bathroom doors. when writers talk about the concept of "dumbing down" this has to be what they are on about...................b
Old 12-20-2005, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
really, are you folks in some frat house, caf, or bs session at a coffee house? does anyone (i guess you readers must) honestly think these sorts of ramblings are fit for a forum on science and philosophy. i have seen as good on bathroom doors. when writers talk about the concept of "dumbing down" this has to be what they are on about...................b

[/ QUOTE ]

A sphicter says what?