Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 01:38 PM

Default Fancy Play Syndrome?

Especially interested in your thoughts on my turn check raise. It's where I think I might have got a little too cute. Comments on all streets welcome though.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

River: (16 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 18 BB
Old 05-27-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Fancy Play Syndrome?

Spewing. Just call call fold. Your raise has no fold equity, your gutshot is likely drawing to a split and your flush isn't to the nuts.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:44 PM

I don't like it. Throw one more limper in there, and it could be considered a value raise, but it's not quite there yet and you're not folding anyone here.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like it. Throw one more limper in there, and it could be considered a value raise, but it's not quite there yet and you're not folding anyone here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. If you KNOW you are going to get called in 5 places, then it is perfect. As it stands, your equity is probably a smidge over 20%, so the raise would be OK if you KNEW eveyone would call. IMO this is 0EV. Just call.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:04 PM

Raise preflop.

Bet the flop. If raised, check/call turn. Else, bet the turn also.

Your raise on the turn isn't for value (like joshua said, you need one more limper) and no one is folding for one more bet.

P.s. does anyone raise this PF in the SB? Maybe that isn't right in this position, but with so many limpers, I feel that QJs is good enough for a value raise...
Old 05-27-2005, 02:07 PM

Bet flop, call turn, fold river if UTG comes out betting on the flush card.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:25 PM

I have always disliked raising out of the blinds without a monster. It just seems to lead to trouble (check folding, betting and getting played back at when out of position). Maybe with so many players in I should consider it.

My raise was intended to be for value, but I screwed up the calculation. I got too excited by the "extra outs" provided by my straight draw (which was almost certainly to a split pot, and only with the non flush kings) and two outs to trips (which probably would not be a winning hand).

Hence the getting cute comment (I'm trying to apply an advanced concept in an innapropriate manner).