Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: The O.C?
No 39 86.67%
Yes 6 13.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2005, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Let me know if my thoughts are correct on this session

Don't get me wrong, I play Axs & KJo all of the time ... from LP with 2 limpers, or one raiser and 3 limpers, or the blinds with good odds. It's just that you seem to call with these hands from EP & MP.

I'll even open raise with them from LP sometimes.

I also looked at the PokerStove output for your HH and it agreeded that you should have made a small profit.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:54 PM

Actually the PokerGrade site said the same thing so maybe you are right about the small profit part.

Perhaps a combination of the QQ hand, not being aggressive enough on the river, and not getting enough value in general from the flop on in the hands that I did win?

The hands I lost money on I dont feel that I would of lost any less (unless you count the hand where the guy hit the boat, that's quesionable), would you agree with that?

I open raise with those hands from LP as well, I would never open limp with any hand. I think you are right though Im throwing a lot of them in MP (before the CO, right?), and at times I even get so bold as to do it even earlier which is probally a huge mistake in these online games.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:37 PM

Go into PT's General Info tab and click on "Filters". Then click on the "Any Raise" bullet. Then do the same for "No Raise".

You're winning money when you raise pre flop and losing money when you don't. I beleive the reason is that the hands that are normal for limping are harder to play aggressivly post flop and your post flop play refelects that. So, you either need to tighten up pre flop, get more agressive post flop, or more likely, a little of each.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
QQ Hand - He was a calling station that played over 60% of all his hands and usually took them down to the showdown.

My strategy against this is to keep the pot small if I dont feel I have a super hand (see the showdown for as cheap as possible), and to pump the hell out of it if I have two pair or better.

If this is the correct strategy, perhaps I misvalued my hand in this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should consider capping preflop. Then you have to bet this hand. It was nice that you still won the pot, but you gave up profit with the best hand and gave villain infinite odds to draw out on you. Atrocious.

[ QUOTE ]
The JT hand was also played against one of these guys (who played very loose and wild). So I have to believe that just because he bet it didnt mean anything to me necessarily so I was still going to raise for value. Then when I was re-raised, I called because again he's an idiot and I think I was getting a good deal on my money if he didnt hit the boat.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience idiots don't pull many moves on the river when you have been so aggressive earlier in the hand. I just don't think you can raise the river if you can't fold to a 3-bet. As you are seeing the 2bb takes a lot of work to make up.

[ QUOTE ]
So do you think I should 3 bet A7s after a limper? Im not sure if that's a matter of me misvaluing those hands, or perhaps I have a bad habit of limping too often behind the other limpers? I usually never open limp into a pot, but I notice I limp behind other limpers all the time especially in 2/4 and below.

This is sort of what I meant by areas where I am habitually playing in a matter that is not profitable. I understand that I am going to make poor decisions here and there, but it's even more important to me to find the more general things where Im probally making the same sort of mistakes because it's part of my general strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your comments here lead me to believe you are not yet grasping the game/some would say playing weak. Say you hold A7s in the CO. One early limper and it is on you??? What should you do?

Limp - If button folds you might be four handed without much of a read on the blinds. Yuck. Plus the button may raise and it comes back to you three of four handed for two bets. Yuck.

Raise - You may get it heads up or at least three handed. You may get the button or SB to fold hands like A9,AT,AJ,KQ,KJ. Wouldn't that be nice. Then when a K hits the flop you have fold equity versus the EP limper.

Just give it some thought. Think about these situations and what it means to be the aggressor in the right situations.

Keep at it and have fun. Respond to some hands.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:38 AM

Thanks that's an awesome observation!!

I actually bought PokerTrackerGuide but a lot of the ideas in it seemed kind of obvious. Im always interested in new ideas on how to find leaks.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:35 AM

I decided to run my entire sample from Party 2/4 limit(4488 hands), and this is my results:

Nuevo99ReportCard

Seemed a bit more complete although it's still a small sample. Some of the things it suggests actually are things that I suspect that are wrong (or someone pointed it out), such as not value betting the river enough, or not preflop raising enough.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Go into PT's General Info tab and click on "Filters". Then click on the "Any Raise" bullet. Then do the same for "No Raise".

You're winning money when you raise pre flop and losing money when you don't. I beleive the reason is that the hands that are normal for limping are harder to play aggressivly post flop and your post flop play refelects that. So, you either need to tighten up pre flop, get more agressive post flop, or more likely, a little of each.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran this thru my entire sample at Party and this is my results: (only 4493 hands though, very tiny sample)

Any Raise -> Win %62.44 +0.74 BB/Hand won
No Raise-> Win %25.45 +0.17 BB/Hand won

So that makes sense.

Im still curious about the comments that I seem to be weak-tight though. Is that just an obvservation because you dont see any check raises on the flop in this sample, or are there actually hands that you would of recommended that you would of check-raised?

Maybe it's kind of the same thing. A lot of times I noticed I might of ended up in too early of a position and hit the flop with a weak hand (no kicker), so I always tended to bet into it, rather than attempt to check raise. So you're probally right, it's all linked somehow.

As far as the stats in general though it does depend on who I play. If they seem like the passive types that will likely allow the flop to get checked thru, isnt it a mistake to try to check-raise them? They probally wont bet so I have to do it for them. (Im playing 2/4 and I see a lot of these guys)
Old 11-24-2005, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im still curious about the comments that I seem to be weak-tight though. Is that just an obvservation because you dont see any check raises on the flop in this sample, or are there actually hands that you would of recommended that you would of check-raised?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a general observation that was highlighted by the QQ hand.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:42 PM

Ah. Id have to say that hand is not representative of my play in general than. It was a matter of making some poor decisions on that particular hand, it's not part of an overall strategy where I would do something similar in that situation everytime.

I would honestly usually cap it PF with QQ, but probally just wasnt thinking on this one hand, and the same with calling it down to the end. I admit it looks pretty awful though so I would probally run the same assumption. (but if you erase that one hand and you look at the rest of the sample Im not sure if "weak-tight" comes to mind, maybe we should have a poll. :-) )

This was kind of what I meant by being beyond posting those "how do I play this hands?". I know Im going to make bad decisions here and there, it's when I make them and think they were the right ones that there is a problem. If I had tended to call down a lot of hands in general (which is what I thought was "weak") my aggression rate would of been much lower.

Thanks for the help, I think Ive already picked up lots of good ideas that should improve my game.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:34 PM

youre not beyond posting hands. my good friend guyontilt is a fantastic player who im sure is well beyond your skill and he posted a hand last week. anyone saying theyre beyond posting hands is pretensious and needs to reevaluate their play, because if you arent constantly reviewing your play you will have a much more difficult time improving. just my two cents.

rj