Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Probably the worst fold I\'ve ever seen, and I made it

3/5 NL, $600 max buy-in at Potawatomi. The game is playing very loose and soft. I think if this hand comes up 100 more times I call at least 95 times. Villan is pretty LAG in the BB, Button is very TAG, tighter than most. Hero starts the hand with ~$1300

Hero is UTG +1 with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero calls, 4 players call, Button says "5 players already" and just calls" as do both blinds.

Flop ($40, 8 players)

5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Checked to Button who bets $25, BB calls, Hero calls, MP calls.

Button comments "3 players check call $25" With how this guy plays and his 2 comments, he has to have an overpair.

Turn: ($140, 4 players) T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB bets $60, Hero raises to $160, MP folds, Button thinks long and hard and folds. BB thinks long and calls.

River: ($660, Heads Up) J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB checks, Hero bets $150, BB raises all-in to $380,

Hero studies BB. On more than one occasion, I've seen BB bet beatable hands, and he has a nervous twitch in his hand. He's sitting back in his chair very calm, hands are not moving.

Even though BB is LAG, I've never seen him make a river raise in a spot like this without a hand. He knows that he's giving me a great price to call. If he had 6 8 or a set, I think he's re-raising the turn. He's the only player at the table who could have 8 9 in this spot. Hero thinks and folds face up.

I still don't know why I folded, villan along with everybody at the table and the small crowd were stunned when I folded face up. One player at the table jokes "I'm on tilt after that" Some at the table are discussing the hand and the table is convinced I was at worse chopping the pot. Villan dosen't say anything.

About 10 minutes after the hand villan swore up and down to me he had the nuts. He said he flopped a gutshot with 2 overs and called the flop, picked up the flush draw on the turn was getting a good price on my raise and new he'd double up if he hit the river. The way he waited and approached me about it I think my read may have been correct.

Even if he did have me beat this seems like such a bad laydown, and I butchered this hand. If villan flips over 8 9 after my fold is this still a bad laydown, or an amazing read?

With my read on the button, how do you play the turn? After the hand button said he had aces, confirming my read on him. When I was raising, I was expecting button to call and BB to fold. Where else did I screw up this hand? Yes I know, just fold PF & call the river next time. I played the hand, because with the combination of a tighter image, and a couple of limp re-raises during this season, my EP limps were often going un-raised PF. Unfortunatley, I'm pretty sure these weren't the only mistakes I made in the hand.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Probably the worst fold I\'ve ever seen, and I made it

You need to play this hand faster. Bet flop if you think you will get raised, or cr it. Don't screw around in these capped buy in games.

Turn raise go to $180 at very very minimum.

Call river. Don't show a lag you are willing to make that laydown unless you are prepared to be playing for your stack with some very marginal hands in the near future.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You need to play this hand faster. Bet flop if you think you will get raised, or cr it. Don't screw around in these capped buy in games.

Turn raise go to $180 at very very minimum.

Call river. Don't show a lag you are willing to make that laydown unless you are prepared to be playing for your stack with some very marginal hands in the near future.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. I think you need to bet the flop. How do you know that a tight button will bet? On the turn I'd make it 200 or more. And call the river, jesus.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:00 PM

Ill be the first to say this is a terrible fold.

The pot is 1190, its 230 to call.

If villain has the nuts 80% of the time here, a call is still correct. I would need some kind of crazy, supernatural read to make a fold like this.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:37 PM

If you know button has an overpair on the flop and is going to bet if you check to him, the correct option is to bet yourself. You don't know that even, so you def should bet the flop.

As played, just put him in on the river in the first place. And don't ever fold.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:23 PM

Villian could show me his one of his cards here and I still might not fold. In seriousness, this was a poor fold, a good read, but a poor fold. Against a rock, maybe excusable, but against a LAG...no way.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:25 PM

unless you have x-ray vision and can see his cards, never fold here. your hand only has to be good 20% of the time to make it the correct call.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:52 PM

why no raise on flop?
Old 11-13-2005, 09:10 PM

I think I fold this just about never for the reasons stated by previous posters. If you and villain are deeper, perhaps a case can be made, but under the circumstances provided, beat him in to the pot. And why didn't you just put him all in on the river to begin with?
Old 11-13-2005, 10:02 PM

Great fold.