Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 10:12 PM

Default Absolutely the most RUDE poker forum on the Internet

While I am not a frequent poster for various reasons here, I am, however, a frequent reader. This brings me to the point. I read posts on this site everyday for strategy, books, and software and it never fails that when I read the posts from new users of the forum they are berated and treated like idiots for asking what the so called "experts" here perceive as dumb questions. The most recent was a post by a new user named "Brizza" who asked a question about odds calculating software and what would we recommend. For his innocent and lucid question, he was rewarded with a smart ass answer about using fifth grade math from a user I will not name. Go to the post and see and read for yourselves. While a few answers were helpful for him, I do not feel that he needed to read that particular post and that it served him no good. Everyone here knows that you can calculate odds in your head, however, this is not the point. The point is that these kind of replies happen here all the time and it discourages people from asking basic questions involved with poker. While I have the greatest respect for the authors at 2+2, this forum needs help. One would think that with the reputation of the authors here having written the seminal works in poker, this would be the only place to come for advice on the game. Instead, good questions are answered with arrogant juvenile comments implying that the asker is an idiot. Knowledge is gained by the sharing of information, not the ridicule of new players wanting to learn the game.

Respectfully,
Shane
Old 10-28-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Absolutely the most RUDE poker forum on the Internet

Respectfully, welcome.

Orca
Old 10-28-2005, 11:03 PM

Call them on it.

The people who insult a poster like this are only making a vain attempt to score points with other people on the forum. Make it clear that it is not welcome, succinctly and directly.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:37 PM

You get that on all forums. Simple fact is they are 3k miles away hiding behind a monitor. They can be the toughguy they always dreamed of with no repercussion or just showing their true colors. Once you see a postwhore or jerk just put them on ignore and you'll never have to read their responses again. You just have to weed through it all. There is some really good info on here besides the repeated "use the search function" and insult replies.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:57 AM

you're overreacting, IMO. the fact that posters on here are so viscious makes some people afraid to create useless, uninformative, and unwitty posts. This somewhat tames the already flooded forums and increases the overall quality of content. some peoples emotions are midly and temporarily hurt in this process, however, the benefits outweigh this consequence.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:16 AM

Assholes exist everywhere. These forums are no exception. Also notice for the 1 ass response in the thread you are talking about there were 3 pretty decent ones. Honestly, if you can't brush off what anonymous people are will to tell you then the internet is probably not the best place to be.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:35 AM

I thought the post was funny. And a quirky, apathetic, rude post is nice every now and then, but I do agree that some threads take it to extremes, like the "i'm never playing on empire thread" in the zoo.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:42 AM

hey Briza,

you gotta admit, it was pretty funny. chill out a bit huh?

and if you think this is the meanest forum on this site you are so very very wrong you have no idea.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:15 AM

My dad can beat up your dad.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:17 AM

People are rude. Don't just post about it. Go out and shoot somebody, for godssake. How will they ever learn?

Seriously, though. No sense getting riled up. It's fairly clear that the poster of the question isn't interested in learning poker, he wants a program to do it for him.

[ QUOTE ]
While a few answers were helpful for him, I do not feel that he needed to read that particular post and that it served him no good.

[/ QUOTE ]

My question to you is: Why do you feel responsible for this poster?

[ QUOTE ]
...good questions are answered with arrogant juvenile comments implying that the asker is an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can just see Sklansky or Malmuth or any of the other authors putting this question into a 2+2 work. Yep. That question is a no-brainer. It has so much to do with actual poker playing skills that I'm suprised that it isn't covered in every "Gambling Concepts" chapter of every 2+2 book. I'm penciling in a link to pokerstove in the margins right now. TOP is now complete.

It wasn't a good question. It's asked at least a couple times a week somewhere on the boards. Hand-holding isn't going to make Brizza a better poker player. It's more likely to increase his predisposition to lean on outside sources to make his own decisions.

I don't have to defend Krimson's response. It defends itself.