Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 02:21 AM

Default Can you find any errors in my play here???

This was a hand from tonight that I thought I played really well...but I know I am a rookie and needed to be sure in case I was over looking something...
The table had a VPIP around 48 and mostly passive play.

Ultimate Bet 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG calls.
I realize I have 3 outs to 2pair, 1.5 outs to BDSD, and 2 outs to trips for a total of 6.5 outs and I discounted my outs by 1 to give me 5.5 outs, and this gives me odds of 7.5 to 1. For me to call the flop I had 9 to 1, and I had two fish behind me so I figured I would get atleast 10 to 1...so I had odds to call the flop bet
Turn: (5 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO folds.
I made two pair of the turn and I planned on check/raising to protect my hand...
River: (11 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.
I believe I have the best hand and bet out to get money in the pot...
Final Pot: 13 BB

Anybody see anything wrong in my play or logic with this hand??
All advice welcome
Hades18
Old 11-01-2005, 02:28 AM

Default Re: Can you find any errors in my play here???

don't forget that on the flop you often have the best hand.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:34 AM

I don't check-raise often enough, but i'm leading this turn. You have no guarantee MP2 will bet this again, and giving a free card sucks on this board. If MP2 does bet, you're trapping MP2 and CO in the middle, which kinda sucks since, again, the board is coordinated.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:42 AM

It looks like you're trying to "protect" too many hands that you're ahead in. Betting out on the flop protects your top pair (probably good), giving 6 outers or less odds to fold. Bet for value on the turn and river.

Don't always assume that you're behind with strong cards. It's probably why you get rivered so much (causing you to play even more passively).
Old 11-01-2005, 02:54 AM

Aaron

Maybe I am missing something here..on the turn I believe I have the best hand with my 2pair, but there is a straight draw and flush draw on the board, so wouldnt I be raising or betting to protect my hand against these???
On the river I again believe I have the best hand and this bet was for value, I def dont want him to fold...
I see the turn as a chance to protect and the river as a chance to bet for value, if I am wrong plz help me see it more clearly...
thxs
Hades18
Old 11-01-2005, 04:17 AM

You protect a hand to give your opponents a negative EV on their weak draws. By raising, you give them roughly half the odds to call, making draws that could call profitably before your raise unprofitable. When they fold to your raise, your equity goes up because they fold a hand that will beat you X% of the time (and any X greater than 0 lowers your pot equity). When they call, your equity still goes up because they contribute dead money to a pot that belongs to you when they miss.

On the turn, a check raise wouldn't even work because the likely bettor is to your left. Only one player will be forced to pay your two bets. (A check-raise on a LP bet is probably correct since you know a club draw is only 5.6-to-1 to hit).

Since you are probably the favorite to win this pot, you should bet for value. You're still profitable against a flush draw and open-ender -- make them pay to see the river!
Old 11-01-2005, 04:32 AM

You talk about the flop as if you are already drawing...you often have the best hand here.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:45 AM

You have a weak made pair on the flop. You need to bet out to protect your hand. You absolutely (I'm sure someone will disagree) NOT call this hand with three callers in front of you. I believe (someone please correct me if I am wrong) this would be considered an overcall. You are facing a flush draw and a large field of overcards. If you either can not or are unwilling to protect this hand by betting the flop, then you MUST fold when their is a bet and one or more callers. I think your check-raise is good for building the pot, but you do not have the best possible hand and I fail to see how it protects your hand. In this situation, 3 people folded, but usually they will call another bet especially if the board is uncoordinated. They probably thought you were on a flush or straight draw (or even had a made straight) and some of their outs (if they are even thinking of outs) are counterfeit. I bet the turn and look for aggression, but I think what you did was alright. I bet the river. One last thing. On the flop you did not have three outs to two pair, you only had 2--the 8d gives a flush draw if it hits the turn (like it did). So even if you make your hand on the turn, you may still lose on the river--I would not even count it (someone berate me for this).
Old 11-01-2005, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You talk about the flop as if you are already drawing...you often have the best hand here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-01-2005, 06:59 AM

preflop good

flop.... wtf? why are you counting outs with TP????
just bet it out

turn... your not protecting your hand, your trapping the field for 2 bets. i probably bet this out, but c/r is just as good if not better

river standard