Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Play against a habitual bluffer

Ran into a new type of fish last night. I was running somewhat cold for a good part of the night (although I did manage to turn a profit), and after a while I started to feel like this particular villain was taking shots at me, raising my continuation bets, betting EVERY time I checked, and raising much more than normal any time I was in the pot.

To be honest I didn't let it bother me too much (yay for me lol), and had almost forgotten about it until this morning when I did my normal morning-after hand review. I saw the pattern all over again and decided to take a look at all the hands he played. Turns out it wasn't just me, he was taking shots at everyone.

His bluffing percentage is somewhere in the neighborhood of 40%!! In fact, for the most part, he called with his made hands, and his bets/raises were on draws or worse. Now, I've seen plenty of lunatic lags who love to bet with anything and nothing, but this guy was actually pretty passive over all. He was sort of like a dog - any time he smelled fear/weakness he'd attack.

Needless to say I've made a note on this guy and will be looking for him again this weekend. That being said what sort of adjustments would you make against this opponent?

What would be your minimum call-down standards? A high? K high?

Also, I think I'm going to be looking for some good hands to trap him with. What would be the minimum trapping hands to look for?

Any other thoughts and ideas appreciated.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Play against a habitual bluffer

Well, you could try and sell him some fear, however you think is best, with top pair hands