Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em

Old 12-09-2005, 12:12 AM

Default Re: How much $$ do the top online players earn?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
another 200 btwn 100k-200k

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this # is significantly higher

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

I think everyone is vastly overestimating how many people on this site, and in internet poker in general, are earning boatloads of money. Yes, there are a LOT who are earning $50,000-$100,000. And maybe I should have said 200 for $150,000-$200,000, but really, I don't think my numbers are nearly as low as y'all do. Plus, there are a lot of people who are winning players but simply don't play many hours, or have a job, or w/e and they earn their supplemental income but probably could pull in 200k+ if they devoted more of their life to it.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

whaaaa?

I feel like there are 200 people from 2+2 that make $100K+ a year

[/ QUOTE ]

Name 10...you can't can you...

[/ QUOTE ]

while there aren't likely to be 200 peopole JUST from 2p2 who make over 100k/year, i feel that many understimate the microcosm that it this population. further, i think that between high stakes limit and NL, this site does indeed produce a large # of people who make over 100k/year. without even thinking hard i can name 8. and i dont even know that many people on here...

though 2p2 comprises a disproportionally high percent of large winners, there are just so many many many millions of players that some will do it by just sheer chance alone. add those to the great players from other countries who dont even frequent this site and you're gunna start looking at a # much larger than 200.

Barron
Old 12-09-2005, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
5-10 ppl over 1M a year.

20 btwn 500k-1M

another 30 btwn 200k-500k

That'd be my guess if you held a gun to my head and made me estimate based on my knowledge of others.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would estimate this x 2.0

[/ QUOTE ]

I considered that actually but decided a lot of the current winners are lottery winners who are outdoing their expectation, and what I have here are exactly how many are expected to EV-wise.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, nothing like exact guesses [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

HUHU?!?!?!? (note: this HUHU is in honor of mikey's amazingly exact guessing ability. it is not meant as a true challange [/disclaimer]

Barron
Old 12-09-2005, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this # is significantly higher

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

I think everyone is vastly overestimating how many people on this site, and in internet poker in general, are earning boatloads of money. Yes, there are a LOT who are earning $50,000-$100,000. And maybe I should have said 200 for $150,000-$200,000, but really, I don't think my numbers are nearly as low as y'all do. Plus, there are a lot of people who are winning players but simply don't play many hours, or have a job, or w/e and they earn their supplemental income but probably could pull in 200k+ if they devoted more of their life to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

good post. good estimation.

Barron
Old 12-09-2005, 07:12 AM

Id expect there to be far more than 200, and i expect that number will increase considering an increasing number turning pro - those retiring/dying.

On a side note, i find arguments like:

[ QUOTE ]
Name 10...you can't can you...

[/ QUOTE ]

just plain funny. can you name 10 people living in Africa? no, you cant, but that doesnt mean there arent millions living in Africa....
Old 12-09-2005, 07:23 AM

There are 100k+ winners every week in the big sunday tournies obv
Old 12-09-2005, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are 100k+ winners every week in the big sunday tournies obv

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily true, I think in the last one on Stars there was a 4 way chop giving those guys each around 70k.

In any case, how many of the big Sunday tourney winners go on to make 200k for this year, much less per/year every year?

--Zetack
Old 12-09-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So does anyone actually know an approximate amount without trying to look like 'the cool guy' on the forum? I was wondering, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would tell you, but I have a date with the Hooper triplets.

[/ QUOTE ]

K, i have to admit that had me cracking up out loud. good one :P
Old 12-09-2005, 02:35 PM

Making 100K/+one year and having the ability to earn the same money or better over time each year is the real issue. I'm sure there are many players that have had $100K+ years in any of the last 3 years that are either busted right now or no longer playing and they are doing other things.

There's got to be some nod to consistency...many one-time huge online winners lack money management skills to stay in the game and continue to earn at a high level. So to base any survey on just one year's earn is not judicious.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:42 PM

This is silly logic. Shouldn't there be just as many people who can make that much EV-wise but are running bad as those who are running good?