Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 05:52 PM

Default Tilting/Bad Beat Approach Question

I recently suffered a string of suckouts on the river today. Effectively going through 4 buyins at 1 table. This angered me and I left the table as I felt like I was tilting and could no longer play without punching my screen. My question is how do you guys effectively deal with suffering a bad bead or a string of them? What do you do to avoid tilting or how do you handle it when it arrises? What are some strategies I can employ?
Old 08-12-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Tilting/Bad Beat Approach Question

Relish and dance in the Sklansky bucks you're earning, then quit, go get laid, and go to bed [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2005, 05:55 PM

smash your thinkpad t42, then send it to ibm because you have it under full warranty.

it's alot of fun, esp. when one has anger issues periodically.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:59 PM

i find the best way to deal with tilt is to refuse to admit you are not playing your a game and raise every pot for an hour, then wonder at the end of the week why your pokertracker stats went down.

best thing in the world, hands down, is playing microstakes nl on stars or ub like a batshit crazy LAG and needling people when you suck out on them. losing that 20-50 bucks is a lot less than you'll lose raising 85% of your hands at real stakes.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:01 PM

throw your chips violently across table towards guy who busted you three times, curse him out, and never make him want to donate money to you again.

wait i'm pretty sure that only applies to live play. and also its probably not the best idea.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:02 PM

So...smash your computer, go get laid, then come back and play microstakes and beat people down and talk smack? Sounds like a fun weekend. Thanks guys.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:05 PM

I'm generally happy as long as I got the money in as the favorite. Focus on making the correct plays and let the cards take care of your money.

I also highly recommend the book Inside the poker mind, despite most strategic essays being written on LHE, the last part, "Poker and emotions" goes over tilt/variance/etc and it does a very good job of it.

In the book, John Feeney gives a great anology (the chapter is titled "You, the machine") on an imagenery poker bot programmed so good that it beats a game at a fixed rate. say you let the bot run and properly bankroll it. You woulnd't really care if the bot is down couple buyins, because as long as the bot is up and running, it is expected to yield positive outcome.

Although it is a bit insensitive to not consider effects of cold card streaks to a human players, his concept is right on in my opinion.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

best thing in the world, hands down, is playing microstakes nl on stars or ub like a batshit crazy LAG and needling people when you suck out on them. losing that 20-50 bucks is a lot less than you'll lose raising 85% of your hands at real stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. especially the "how could you call me with xxx?! you're terrible." when xxx was the winning hand... until the river.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:38 PM

I never tilt.
I used to do it but nowadays it has become a challenge not to.

EDIT: Ive found myself in moments of hilarious beats thinking to myself how good I am not to tilt [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Always makes me smile even though Im still hitting the monitor.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:25 PM

Chain Smoke.