Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Poker on TV should have a disclaimer....

I am sure this has been brought up before but I wanted to hear some thoughts about stations adding a disclaimer before every TV poker event. (some show may already do this)

Something stating that the cards and play we are about to see has been edited for content. I would even go so far as have them stating how many hands we are seeing out of how many were played. Just to add perspective to what really goes down during a long final table.

If we were to watch a late night repeat sporting event, they would be sure to let us know when they forward ahead in the game due to time constraints. Why not poker?

I know this makes no difference to most of the readers here if they had one or not. But I think it would go a long way in helping the overall game. Even if a handful of people re-thought their play it would be worth it.

The average Joe, (most of my friends) believe that holdem is played this way and all hands are all-in situations. Doesn't bother them that chip counts change every commercial break. It's a non-issue or a mystery to them.

I know myself would like to see more of the in-between grind em out hands but we all know "this isn't good TV". At least let the non-educated viewing audience in on the secret.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Poker on TV should have a disclaimer....

[ QUOTE ]
am sure this has been brought up before....

[/ QUOTE ]

Somehow I doubt that.

[ QUOTE ]
If we were to watch a late night repeat sporting event, they would be sure to let us know when they forward ahead in the game due to time constraints. Why not poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because poker is not a sport. They do it with sports because other people gamble on the outcome besides the participants.

[ QUOTE ]
Something stating that the cards and play we are about to see has been edited for content. I would even go so far as have them stating how many hands we are seeing out of how many were played. Just to add perspective to what really goes down during a long final table.

[/ QUOTE ]

A complete waste of time. I suppose you would like to watch some paint dry as well.

[ QUOTE ]
The average Joe, (most of my friends) believe that holdem is played this way and all hands are all-in situations. Doesn't bother them that chip counts change every commercial break. It's a non-issue or a mystery to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think all the new little fishies in the pond play the way they do?

[ QUOTE ]
I know myself would like to see more of the in-between grind em out hands....

[/ QUOTE ]

Then poker on TV is just not for you. Might I suggest going to live tournaments.

Why do you think you never see televised chess matches on TV? Because watching chess is just plain boring!! If you add back all the wasted time in poker matches to a telecast it will become just like chess.

If complete poker tournaments were telecast I would rather watch a late night infomercial teaching me how to make the best dried fruit and beef jerkey in the entire world.

You might be thinking that this is just my opinion. Well it seems to be the informed opinion of the people who put up the big bucks required to televise poker as well.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

A complete waste of time. I suppose you would like to watch some paint dry as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you crazy? Why would this by a complete waste of time and similar to watching paint dry? How long would it take to put a graphic on the screen saying this is hand 43 of the final table, despite it is only the 7th hand shown?

I would like to know that fact when watching the tournament. It is strange that you find providing the viewer more information is a complete waste of time, especially when it really wouldn't take any time at all, if done as a graphic during the dealing of the hand.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:01 PM

Time = production costs = money spent ergo; a complete waste of time (see cost and money)
Old 10-24-2005, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Time = production costs = money spent ergo; a complete waste of time (see cost and money)

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it really cost a lot of money to put a graphic on the screen that says "This is hand 43 of the final table"? I have never worked in television production, but I am willing to wager it doesn't cost anything for the graphics guy to type one extra sentence. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it really cost a lot of money to put a graphic on the screen that says "This is hand 43 of the final table"? I have never worked in television production, but I am willing to wager it doesn't cost anything for the graphics guy to type one extra sentence. Please correct me if I am wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you are correct, all the production personell work for free.

The main point of the OP is that this stuff is important, it is not. As evidenced by the decision to not provide this information. Now my time has become more important than responding to you again. No more production costs for me in this thread.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The main point of the OP is that this stuff is important, it is not. As evidenced by the decision to not provide this information. Now my time has become more important than responding to you again. No more production costs for me in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, you are drawing dead, so it is best to leave the discussion. You did not explain to me how it would cost extra to type an addition sentence. You claimed this would increase production cost, but you did not tell how it would.

As far as the information being irrelevant..well, I would like more information about what is going on. The OP would. And I am willing to bet most 2+2 posters would like as much info as possible...within reason.

Just because they have chosen not to provide the info does not mean that it is not important. TV wants to create the illusion that what you are seeing is the vast majority of the action, when we know that is not the case. That is the reason they don't provide more info. It has nothing to do with cost.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I know myself would like to see more of the in-between grind em out hands but we all know "this isn't good TV". At least let the non-educated viewing audience in on the secret.

[/ QUOTE ]

So watch FSN's reruns of the FTP Invitational and Turning Stone final table (American Poker Championship I think?) which were shown live and included every hand.)
Old 10-24-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They could just put a small number at the bottom right of the screen that shows the # of hands played. I don't think that woukd be expensive or time consuming.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:57 PM

Gotta a person who quotes and has an answer for everything. And yeah.. I think I might like to watch paint dry. It couldn't be any worse than reading your response.

I am sure a good percentage of readers here would love to watch 2-4 hours of un-edited action. How you could compare that to paint drying is beyond me.

The last thing I want is less fish in the sea. I doubt that a little more information is going to kill your easy competition.

If 50-80 million people played chess, with even more people interested in watching it. I am sure you would see it on TV. That is a no brainer.