Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2004, 04:40 PM

Default All-seeing eye quiz

Try playing out this hand as if you were each of the players playing without knowledge of the other hands. How would the hand play out with a bunch of people like YOU playing? Which hole cards would win, and how much? What if you threw in a few players that play like your typical opponents?

SB 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG+1 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG+2 J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
MP1 K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
MP2 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
MP3 Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
CO 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Button 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Flop 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Turn K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
River 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2004, 05:02 PM

Default Re: All-seeing eye quiz

Hey tardigrade,
Not to belittle your quiz, but if I were playing all the hands here as I would play them, there wouldn't be a flop. I would raise UTG+2 w/AJo after folding the first two, and I would have folded every other hand.

-Jaran
Old 06-22-2004, 05:39 PM

No prob ... I do think it's a tough decision to defend QJ from the blind against a raise. It's about 35% versus AK and basically dead against a high pair. In this case, it's dominated by the J in the AJ, so it's not worth a call if you knew the other guys hand.

This situation got me thinking about defending the big blind in a tight table versus a loose table. Generally, I try to defend any playable blind against a loose table, but I think I may be draining bets that way. In this case, anything a player would raise with has a good chance of "colliding" with my blind, so I think I might need enough players on the table to make the straight draw worthwhile, since I could be as low as 10% to win against many raising hands.

What if the raise came late against an empty table, and you suspected a steal attempt?
Old 06-22-2004, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Generally, I try to defend any playable blind against a loose table, but I think I may be draining bets that way. In this case, anything a player would raise with has a good chance of "colliding" with my blind, so I think I might need enough players on the table to make the straight draw worthwhile, since I could be as low as 10% to win against many raising hands.

What if the raise came late against an empty table, and you suspected a steal attempt?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like to defend my blinds ... especially against loose tables. However, it's sort of a Catch-22.... if you're at a loose table, you won't NEED to defend your blinds much because everyone will be limping around and cold calling raises.

If you're at a tight table against good players (why would you ever be sitting at such a table?), you might defend the blinds with a re-raise, because a good player is going to respect that re-raise if he's stealing... esp. if you bet out on the flop.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:57 PM

If the raise came from the CO or button, and I knew that the bettor was a thinking player (most of the pp regulars I play with wouldn't know a blind steal if they were hit in the head by one), then I think QJ is a marginally defendable hand. One I would prolly call with and see the flop.

-Jaran
Old 06-22-2004, 05:34 PM

What Jaran said. Only change is that if folded to me I MIGHT open raise with KJo.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:39 PM

This is an interesting idea, but the previous two posters got it right: AJ would raise, everything else will fold.

Maybe you could revise the hands listed to include a baby pair, suited connectors or a big pair as well as the AJo. Then post the flop, turn and river in white so that we can play along step by step.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:41 PM

I missed the first two. I'd complete with J9s from the SB. Defen OJo from the BB=no.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:52 PM

Wait... you'd call the raise from the SB with J9s, but not the QJo from the BB?

Calling any of them would be a bad idea.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:55 PM

There's a raise? I didn't see any raise. If there's a raise I'm folding super quick.