Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 11:10 AM

Default Split the pot?

Dumb question, but needs to be clarified:
the board: four tens and an ace
player 1: pocket queens
player 2: jack, king

since the best cards are on the board, it's a chop, right?
Old 09-30-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Split the pot?

Yes
Old 09-30-2005, 11:26 AM

Yes
Old 09-30-2005, 12:52 PM

You both have the same hand. Four Tens with an Ace. Chop it. You can only make a five card hand.

Jeff
Old 09-30-2005, 01:22 PM

Chop

I'm guessing you ask because the guy with the QQ felt jipped and demanded the whole pot.

Never underestimate the idiocy of the people when trying to interpret the rules.

In a live tourney I was playing in the blinds were like say 1K / 2K and under the gun has like maybe 400 in chips, he calls with his remaining chips, it folds around to the blinds, SB folds, and BB checks, they flip em over and long story short, UTG wins the hand.

He then starts grabbing the whole pot and the table points out that he can only win 400 from each player and he wigs out and begins screaming how that money was already in the pot he can win it. Of course everyone knows he's wrong, including the tourney ref, but because it was a sports bar tourney (no buy in, competing for prizes/house cash) and the guy was getting really irrate we just let him have it, including the BB who was entitled the the chips.

I just told him to look up official tourney rules later online so he wouldn't be so wrong int he future. He busted like 5 minutes later and nobody was sad to see him go.

Oh and my own sad/bad beat story little twist to the story, same tourney 11 players left, I'm about 3rd in chips and I get busted by #2 in chips, me KK, him AA. I raise big preflop, he comes over the top all in, and I KNOW he has AA, I just know it in my heart and soul, but I can't lay down KK so I call and he flips over the AA and I'm like "dang"
Old 09-30-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dumb question, but needs to be clarified:
the board: four tens and an ace
player 1: pocket queens
player 2: jack, king

since the best cards are on the board, it's a chop, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a chop. Although I suppose a player could choose to use one or both of his whole cards and then the other player who choose to use the board would win the hand.

In hold em you can use both, one, or none of your hole cards to make a hand. If the hand on the board is better than your hand, you would, naturally, go with none.

The flip side of this that you may see, is if there are five cards to a flush on the board, many less experienced players belive this is a chop. If any player has at least one hole card of the flush suit that is higher than any of the flush cards on the board, though, there can not be a chop.

(For the nits out there, I haven't checked the rules on my first statement, so I don't know with absolute certainty that you can play a hole card to make a worse hand than the board if you want so its conceivable that I'm wrong in that aspect of it and its always a chop even if one player has lost his mind and wants to play a worse hand than the board).

--Zetack