Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Any dealers can shed some light ?

Ok, so I have finally figured out that even if given free choice and no college necessary, I can't even _think_ of a 'legitimate' professional job that i'm interested in, and i'm simply not in a bankroll position to make a living at poker yet far as i'm concerned. So, I am considering going to dealing school and I want to know from dealers out there how good a job is it? How much do you make first off? How much do experienced dealers with 'top' positions make? How much of your tips do you get to keep? etc. I am in the Atlantic city area if that makes a difference.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Any dealers can shed some light ?

Oh yeah and another question i'm going to vegas in a month and schools there are a little cheaper and I would guess might be better as well? Would I be at an advantage or disadvantage going to a school not in the area I plan to deal in, and what should I look for in a good school?
Old 08-16-2005, 04:12 PM

I hear it sucks but my questions would be

1. How much does school cost?
2. How long do you have to go to school to "graduate"?
3. How much do dealer's make? Does is vary much or is it pretty close to minimum wage?
Old 08-16-2005, 04:30 PM

1. School can range from $400-$1000 depending on what part of the country you are in.

2. Typically, it will take 4-6 weeks to graduate from dealing school. Maybe a bit shorter if you are a poker guru...but on the flip side it could take a bit longer, as well...

3. Dealers make minimum wage, and make their living off of "tokes", or tips. Most poker dealers are keeping their own tips, so the better they get, the more they'll make. If you're going to deal the other pit games (i.e. BJ, craps, etc...), then you'll most likely be splitting your tips w/ hundreds of other dealers.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:38 PM

So... the general perception is that a dealer can expect $1/pot. Generally speaking, you get what, about 7.5 hours of dealing in a shift at 25-35 hands per hour? That's $187.50 to $262.50 per shift in tokes. That's $49k-$68k per year in tips, plus another $10k-$20k in salary? I guess you'd have to adjust down for time spent not actually dealing, maybe your shift is during the slow part of the day, plus maybe you only actually deal 25-28 minutes per down, etc.

How far off are these numbers? It's impossible to get a dealer to ever say how much he really makes. Don't worry - I'm not going to stop tipping you because I think you're making too much money or anything.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:17 PM

I've heard 30k to 60k+ (wages and tips) Not shabby if you like the lifestyle. I will know more when I go to Vegas to talk with some people about general employment in the Vegas area.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:04 PM

Usually you get about 6.5 hours of dealing for a full shift. One half hour break every 1.5 to 2.5 hours.
Also, sometime you half to wait to get in the rotation and have to have the discipline not to ask for early outs.

Also, swing and graveyard dealers who work wire to wire typically make 15-30% more in tips than day shift.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:18 PM

"have to have the discipline not to ask for early outs"

What does this mean?
Old 08-16-2005, 11:23 PM

Dealers can often leave early and/or play when the joint is slow. Many dealers always put in for this.

Jeff
Old 08-16-2005, 11:25 PM

I can't stand being around poker players for 2 hours. One 8-hour shift and I'd seriously consider killing myself.