Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2005, 10:15 AM

Default Moving up in buy-ins (L/C)

I've was running a little cold the past few days on the 11s. Only down like 15 buy-ins, but the usual stuff when going cold - losing races, running into monsters, losing with dominating hands, etc.

But then I started checking my HHs. I noticed that I had also been making stupid plays. Reckless, impatient, and overaggressive, which is totally not my style. This was on the 11s.

Then I checked the few 22s and 33s that I've played recently. My play was much better. It got me thinking - as much as I have enjoyed making the "easy" money on the 11s, I think I've reached the point where either a) I think that I can win no matter what I do (which of course, is wrong) or b) the buy-in is so low relative to my B/R (or my lifetime earnings) that I don't care enough to put forth my best effort. I got very angry at myself for this.

But I also realized that I can no longer stay at the 11s and 22s. I must move up full time to the 22s and 33s for the sake of my game (and B/R). So anyway, I've played a few 33s (mixed in with 22s) and I've realized that the play is really not that great and that my concentration is much higher. I actually have my adrenaline pumping during games again. I know it's short term, but I've already more than made up for my small downswing at the end of my "career" on the 11s.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anybody else ever reached the point where they could no longer play their best game simply because the buy-in didn't mean enough to them. I have hesitated to move up in the past because I'm conservative with my B/R, but I now realize that I don't have a choice.

Sorry for rambling, but going through my HHs for the past few days on the 11s was an eye opening experience... Also, thank you to all the great posters on this forum who have helped me improve to the point where I feel comfortable moving up in buy-ins. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]