Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2005, 01:40 AM

Default Who made the bigger mistake here?

$10-$20 NL at the commerce, have 900 in front of me and am on par or covered by most of the table except guy 2 to my right who has 155 left. Get dealt Qh10h in the BB. UTG+1 limps, shortstack limps on the button, SB completes, I rap the table. Flop Kh9h3s. SB checks, I check, UTG+1 checks, short stack goes in for 135. SB thinks about it then calls. There is 350 in the pot right now. I figure I can smooth call here but another heart will kill my action. I also consider that SB's call could mean a better flush draw, which would really suck if I hit the turn. I decide to go all in and put SB to the test. To my surprise, UTG+1 almost instantly calls. "Oh crap, I just ran into a set" I'm thinking. Nope, he's the one with the A high flush draw. 5h hits the turn and I'm drawing dead. Who do you think made the bigger mistake and why?
Old 02-16-2005, 03:05 AM

Default Re: Who made the bigger mistake here?

It's silly to discuss who made the bigger mistake, especially after you made such a patently huge, huge mistake yourself. That's a sour grapes mentality that will get you nowhere.

Your logic in this hand was severely flawed. Think about it again, and I'm sure you'll see why.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$10-$20 NL at the commerce, have 900 in front of me and am on par or covered by most of the table except guy 2 to my right who has 155 left. Get dealt Qh10h in the BB. UTG+1 limps, shortstack limps on the button, SB completes, I rap the table. Flop Kh9h3s. SB checks, I check, UTG+1 checks, short stack goes in for 135. SB thinks about it then calls. There is 350 in the pot right now. I figure I can smooth call here but another heart will kill my action. I also consider that SB's call could mean a better flush draw, which would really suck if I hit the turn. I decide to go all in and put SB to the test. To my surprise, UTG+1 almost instantly calls. "Oh crap, I just ran into a set" I'm thinking. Nope, he's the one with the A high flush draw. 5h hits the turn and I'm drawing dead. Who do you think made the bigger mistake and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

You weren't drawing dead, you had a one-outer to a straight flush.

I think your mistake was to fail to realize that UTG a) was drawing to the nuts and b) would not release a draw.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:24 AM

I don't think my all-in was a huge, huge mistake because the only way I don't lose all my chips on this hand is if I a)fold my huge draw to the $135 all-in, or b) smooth call then fold to UTG+1 if he decides to go all in, and he might not. Regardless of what I think however, I posted because I wanted specific and helpful input. WHY is my thinking flawed here, and what would you do in the same situation to save your chips?
Old 02-16-2005, 06:29 AM

what are you talking about? if i am villian i call that raise everytime.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:26 PM

I wouldnt even worry about this hand, if you think that you made a mistake think about this. You had no intention of folding, so if you call; when the 5h hits turn, you would have ended up with all your money in anyway and thought," what bad luck, make the 2nd nuts and run into the nuts", no matter what anyone says most people lose their stack on turn anyway including me.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:30 PM

I have been in a similar situation, where I had the A high flush draw and knowing that my opponent pushes with draws, I called him on a J high board with my nut flush draw... I was thinking he had a str8 draw or a flush draw, but I knew I was ahead. He flipped over KQh for the str8 and flush draw, but I was still ahead. Turn and river blanked and I took it down. So Villain's call in this hand is not too bad at all.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:06 PM

Come on, think about it. You made a semi-bluff raise with a non-nut draw (well, a 1-outer nut draw), a dry side pot, two players to act behind you, one who is a presumably loose caller, and the other who just smooth-called a bigger than pot sized all-in bet with two players to act behind him-- for your entire stack. That's not smart.

Your two options are fold or call. If you push- even if you do succeed in getting the other two players out- now you’re up against the all-in bettor for a fairly small main pot (relative to what you were risking) with a drawing hand. I know you might be a favorite over several of his possible all-in hands (although he might have the nut flush draw himself), but there’s no reason to put that much at risk with so many things that need to go your way.

I would say call if you were deeper. As it is I say fold. You had a $20 blind invested, and your draw is big, but not to the nuts. Let this one go.