Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2005, 08:31 PM

Default Flopped set w/ 77

My argument for calling preflop was that I was expecting alot of coldcalls behind me, this table was a really nice one. The turn play puzzled me, should I just have called?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB <font color="#A500AF">(LA-A)</font> calls, BB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">LA-A bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">LA-A bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">LA-A 3-bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

River: (15 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">LA-A bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 17 BB
Old 01-02-2005, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Flopped set w/ 77

Raise the flop dude. I've seen so many "slowplay" hands like this in the last few days. You are just leaving bets on the table by calling the flop.

Brad
Old 01-02-2005, 08:36 PM

I would call the turn 3 bet and raise the river, calling a 3 bet.

Since he's a LA-A, chances are he just autobet the flop and when he spiked an ace on the turn he went apeshit with it. I wouldn't fear a flush yet.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:38 PM

I've got one thing into my head. Mainly it was something like... flushdraws get money if I raise this flop but I do too [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. I have gotten into the bad habit of calling the flop if there's alot of people between me and the bettor. I usually raise if I can face them with two cold.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:41 PM

Why? If you get just two players to go for two BB, you've made more than a flop raise.

If there's just 50% chance of the same action happening on the turn, waiting to raise is more profitable.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:41 PM

100% backwards logic. Try to trap people with sets rather then face them with multiple bets.

Brad
Old 01-02-2005, 08:42 PM

Probably fold preflop. Raise the flop.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
100% backwards logic. Try to trap people with sets rather then face them with multiple bets.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a good idea if there's a possible flushdraw out? I guess a flushdraw wont fold so a raise really doesn't do that much. It could trap someone with middle or even top pair, right?

Can anyone explain what they go through before deciding if they will raise or call in this hand?
Old 01-02-2005, 09:18 PM

&gt; Is this a good idea if there's a possible flushdraw out? I guess a flushdraw wont fold so a raise really doesn't do that much. It could trap someone with middle or even top pair, right?

One of the benefits of waiting to raise is you can get 2 large bets from the flush draws when they are 4-1 to come in instead of 2-1 (assuming a blank falls on the turn). No real way to protect your hand here, so pump it and hope you win.

Even if a flush card does come, sometimes I raise anyways, depending on the number of players and how the action is going. You'll still have a 10 out draw even if a flush is out.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:23 PM

don't mind the call preflop based on ur table read, but you MUST raise the flop. get the money in when ur the favorite.