Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 12:43 PM

Default 3 bet river?

Heads up match with my roommate, more or less for fun but we both know our stuff and are playing pretty much for ego (and $30). This our third match in a best of 5, I won the first two games in PLO and NLHE. This game is limit HE. We played for 2 hours at 10/20 1000 chips each to start, bumped it to 20/40 because it was going to take a 3 hour losing streak for one of us to bust... Anyways, an interesting hand where I am not sure on the river play:

My opponent is generally an ABC player, raises with good hands, bluffs occasionally but probably less than 10% of the time, he will make questionable calls and sometimes plays big hands passively. I am generally aggressive, I often 3 bet before the flop with nearly any two cards, I will raise the turn with marginal hands, most of my big hands end up being big pots because I play them the same way. I generally read my opponent better than he reads me.

I have QJ in the BB, opponent calls, I raise, he calls.

Flop Q85 1 club.

He checks, I bet, he calls.

Thoughts: No real reads at this point except that I figure to be ahead. I am thinking 67 or a pair of 5s is possible, he could have an overcard with nothing as well.

Turn blank club.

He bets, I raise, he calls.

Thoughts: He will lead into the turn if he thinks I am weak, so his bet could be a steal attempt with many hands still, he has called a turn raise with 2 pair earlier, so he could actually have me beat but I doubt it. He might have 2 clubs, which he would bet-call...

River is non-club J.

He checks, I bet, he raises, I raise, he raises, I make the crying call.

Thoughts: When he checks, I figure either he was on a busted draw or he has a pair. He will pay me off with any pair since the pot is a nice size at this point, so I bet. His first raise was interesting, but there is only a few hands beating me here (sets or 9T for a straight). I figure he could easily have 2 pair and raised for value, among the other hands beating me. So I three bet. Now he reraised so quickly that in retrospect had to be 9T and I should not have called the last bet but I did anyways.

Showdown: He has 9T of clubs for a straight. Note he had a flush draw and gutshot on the turn.

So my real question is whether I should 3-bet on the end or not? Also, I think I should have folded to his 4-bet, thoughts? I find similar circumstances in heads up play in full table games as well, so this is fairly general question. This heads up match has actually helped me be more aggressive on the river, which didn't pay off in this hand, but I think raising in this spot should be +EV...