Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 10:52 PM

Default Should I play rebuys?

If I never intend on rebuying myself, or adding on...should I not bother with these tourneys?

I have two thoughts with this. The first is..I am at a disadvantage as everyone else will be able to get more chips than me, even if playing poorly. The second is..I should be taking their chips if I am playing well, and this just adds more value to my buy-in. If I am putting in 1/3, 1/5 of everyone else, and playing for the same prize...then its worth playing at a slight disadvantage.

Ok, so neither of these opinions are based on anything other than some random thoughts I have been having. If anyone has any good reasons either way, I'd love to hear them.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Should I play rebuys?

I'll use the most popular rebuy tourney online, the PS nightly 25k guarenteed.

I think it is a very viable strategy for someone to play this as a $21 tourney. Rebuy immediately up to 3k, and play from there.

Nick
Old 07-25-2005, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll use the most popular rebuy tourney online, the PS nightly 25k guarenteed.

I think it is a very viable strategy for someone to play this as a $31 tourney. Rebuy immediately up to 3k, and play from there.

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 07-26-2005, 01:32 AM

dont be a puss - rebuy like mad. regardless of buy in. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2005, 06:10 AM

Well I started playing the 11r on Stars recently and i have put in $31, $31, $51, $51, & $31 in 5 times and i have cashed 4 times but never past final 4 tables, yet. Anyway i think a rebuy right away and an add on is do-able, but if u are only paying $11 for 1500 chips and leaving if u lose or not adding on either i think it is not the best choice.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Kasey [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2005, 06:51 AM

If you have limited tolerance for a one hour donk fest before the real tournament starts, avoid them. Hard not to rebuy because even your premium hands can got sucked out on more easily than a typical game.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:42 AM

As for Stars $11R - there is usually $50-55 in the pot at the break for every player remaining, as ~25% of the field drops out in the first hour.

So, if you can get to the break and add on for $51 or less, you aren't paying any rake. Meaning, it's OK to rebuy a couple times and add on.

Now, a lot of successful players will go crazy that first hour in hopes of building a stack 2-3X avg. Then they turn tight in the second hour, hoping their loose image gets them paid on their good hands in the second hour.

This is probably the best way to play IF you are a great player. But it can be very expensive, and if you don't know that you have the skills to make (and navigate) the final table, then it's best to keep it cheaper in the first hour.

Because 25% of the field drops out in the first hour, it usually turns out that 11-14% of those remaining at the break will get paid. This is a higher pay out percentage than most of your other MTTs.

Of course, all the money is at the final table. So, barely making the money is not a great result - you will go broke if that's all you do.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:43 AM

I never put out more than $50 in the pokerstar 10r. If I go beyond that it's either A. I'm playing bad B. I'm getting unlucky C. Tilt. But I think allocating $21 is ok, but I'd probably try and build from 1500 than take the addon, because its 500 chips more than rebuying. If you have 5k by the 1st break, you should be ok, as you a lot of bad players are still left right after the break.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:13 PM

I wouldn't bother if you don't want to rebuy or add on at all. The average player is going to have ~4x the initial chip count by after the first break and the chip leader will have at least 8x. Even if you play well it's going to be hard to get that many chips without rebuying or adding on. After that point, even if you double up you are barely even going to be average let alone in good position if you start with so little chips.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't bother if you don't want to rebuy or add on at all. The average player is going to have ~4x the initial chip count by after the first break and the chip leader will have at least 8x. Even if you play well it's going to be hard to get that many chips without rebuying or adding on. After that point, even if you double up you are barely even going to be average let alone in good position if you start with so little chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk about horrible non-fact based anecdotal advice.

The rebuys are such donk-fests even after its over, playing very tight solid poker can make a 5k stack (3k plus add on) a very viable playing stack post-rebuy. You are still 35xBB, and many people have a hard time shifting gears from the rebuy period.

Nick