Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 10:32 PM

Default Value Cap this flop?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, Hero....?

Reads: SB has been quiet, BB has been playing back at me alot as I've been getting good cards and rasing alot. If I do cap, whats my line on a dud turn?
Old 11-01-2005, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Value Cap this flop?

I would cap here. Looks like you are behind to a better kicker or 2-pair, but you have at least 9 outs to the nut flush, plus you can probably count 3's as 1.5 more outs. I think you have enough equity to make this raise for value. It might also buy you a free card on the turn, which I would take if checked too.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:49 PM

SBs check-3bet almost always means A2, 22, or 99. Go ahead and cap it up, but I wouldn't go nuts over a turned 3.

-d
Old 11-02-2005, 03:30 AM

Cap it, take free card if you can... I think capping here instills in the other players mind that you think you have the best hand on the flop, and if your spade does hit I think your hand may be well concealed.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:14 AM

Cap it of course. Now if checked to me on the turn, I'll bet. I doubt very much that he'll check-raise me here and this still conceals my flush. I can always check the river if I miss my flush and he checks.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:11 AM

Hmm. Capping might get you a free card if SB whiffs on a turn checkraise. (I guess I'm saying I don't think it's that likely, otherwise.) Unless SB has a flush draw of his own (not my first guess), I think he's got two pair or better. If he's got a set, that cuts into your equity quite a bit (you'd have no two-pair/trips outs, and there'd be a redraw against a turned flush).

I'm okay with capping, and it's what I might do, but I think calling might be better, really. It sort of sets up a raise on the turn with BB trapped in between, if you catch, whereas if you cap the flop, SB might take this as an invitation to check on a three-flush turn.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:41 AM

I like capping with your position. In terms of strict odds, you don't necessarily have enough opponents in the hand to make it correct, but it is correct in terms of disguising your hand and possibily not having to even call a bet on the turn if a brick does hit.