Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 02:26 AM

Default Re: What Have You Done That Needed Courage?

[ QUOTE ]
The second was about 8 years ago. I checked myself into a mental hospital, when I was feeling suicidal. Sounds easy, but it wasn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is they exactly the type of thing bruiser was looking for. Nice post...
Old 08-14-2005, 02:27 AM

I can give you one I've witnessed, I believe I've had my life saved twice, both times by my mother (and probably several others when she restrained herself from killing me), but the one that is vivid, is...

I was around 12. We were in a jet boat on some lake I forget the name of. She was shotgun, I was in the back seat directly behind her and some ass munch she was dateing at the time was driving.

Ass munch decides that he is going to buzz the cove we where all camping in that weekend and spray everyone with water in what can only be described as a mammouth momment of stupidity.

Ass munch enters the cove at about 40 or so, who knows, he was haulin ass either way, cuts it hard right and proceeds to spray...

Right at apex, we spin.

I'll never forget that momment. I was midair, a good 2 feet out of my seat with no chance of coming down anytime soon. I made eye contact with my mother just in time to see the look of horror...and her hand coming my way. She somehow managed to snatch an arm, stay in her seat, and return me to mine...just as we hit shore.

I don't recall seeing ass munch after that day.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:35 AM

Every time you stand up to a bully, whether a punk, bureaucrat, or authority figure overstepping his bounds,

it is an act of courage.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:56 AM

This is a very difficult question.

If you're not afraid of doing it, then doing it takes no courage. But then, a lot of times you'll just go and do something without taking the time to realize that you should be really afraid.

I don't even recall specific instances, but there have been times when I did things, and afterward I couldn't stop shaking. I think there's a difference between courage, and having the ability to do what needs doing despite the danger, and worrying about that afterward.

If there were a dangerous situation, I'd rather have me than anyone I know making the tough choices and doing what needed doing under pressure. However, if there were something that I was really afraid of doing, and I wanted to do it anyhow, I couldn't count on myself to follow through with it and take those steps.

Unless I really had to.

~D
Old 08-14-2005, 02:57 AM

I had cancer. Surgery and chemo. I don't know about 'courage' per se, because I had a light dose compared to others I know; but I did have to consider the possibility of my own death. I had to make decisions to try to save my life.

Nothing compared to the average day our soldiers are facing in Iraq as far as courage goes, I'm sure.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is courage? I've heard the word many times before but it seemed phony so I didn't pay it much attention. It does have a real place to be used though, and is important. Thinking about it now it seems like something that is tough, or scary for a person to do. This is what dictionary.com says:

The state or quality of mind or spirit that enables one to face danger, fear, or vicissitudes with self-possession, confidence, and resolution; bravery

The closest I come is my decision to hike on the appalachian trail. A freshmen not liking college too much it would have been easy to keep doing that and stay in next semester and just hang out in my room in the computer, but inspite of that, and the idea of going to Georgia by myself to hike in the woods on my own at the end of winter (my dad said this was dangerous and I needed experience to do it safely, I ignored this and it turned out to be untrue). That was hard for me and besides a couple of other personal things that required small amounts of courage the only thing I can think about. So not much really.

Any thoughts on courage? What have you done that required courage?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to bring it up again, but it took a hell of a lot of courage to pull the trigger and kill a man who was about to pull a gun on me in my garage. I am just glad I had the training to have a split second reaction time, and do what had to be done.

Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2005, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I hate to bring it up again, but it took a hell of a lot of courage to pull the trigger and kill a man who was about to pull a gun on me in my garage. I am just glad I had the training to have a split second reaction time, and do what had to be done.

Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure that that's courage, since you're the type that's capable of doing what needs to be done without constantly worrying about the consequences. You did it, and worried about it afterward. If that is courage, then yeah that shows it. I'm just thinking that courage is something where you're scared as [censored] every step of the way and keep taking the next one anyhow, fully aware at all times of the danger you're putting yourself into. This is when a perfectly viable option is to not take the next step. It wasn't an option for you, unless you wanted to get dead.

Maybe I'm wrong and that ability to ignore consequences so you can do what you have to actually is courage, but it sure as hell doesn't feel courageous. It just feels like not being crippled by fear.

Is there a difference? I don't know.

~D
Old 08-14-2005, 03:28 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

Archie Gates: You're scared, right?
Conrad Vig: Maybe.
Archie Gates: The way it works is, you do the thing you're scared shitless of, and you get the courage AFTER you do it, not before you do it.
Conrad Vig: That's a dumbass way to work. It should be the other way around.
Archie Gates: I know. That's the way it works.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:59 AM

Care to answer the question yourself, chud?

If the answer is yes, mind sharing the story?
Old 08-14-2005, 06:03 AM

courage: the ability to do something that one wants to do anyway....

Nice work.

peace

john nickle