Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Re: I NEED A MENTOR.

I would guess that you are already too good for any sort of mentor to really help you signficantly unless they are literally by your side at the computer.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:00 PM

Based on everything I've heard, read and seen, I think Barry is a guy who can help you become a small/moderate winner in a 30-60. If this is what you are looking for, then he's your man, and there are plenty who need exactly that. But anything beyond that and I doubt he's the right guy.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Re: So, you want to learn poker mathematics?

[ QUOTE ]
Shania

Jason Pohl

The 0,1 Game.

Weighing the Odds by Yao King

Pokerstove

The basic premise of unexploitable play is that you must put your opponent's hand range to a 0 EV decision against your hand range.

For example, if the pot is 4 BB and you know your opponent's hand range to be exactly KK-JJ on an AT823 board, your bluffing frequency should be such that 1/6 of the time you are bluffing and 5/6 of the time you are betting a superior hand. Thus, whether he calls or folds, his EV is 0.

Obviously, this gets more complicated as your opponent's hand range gets wider, but the premise is the same and you can extend it to any poker situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you think "more complicated" is a slight understatement? "Computationally infeasible" sounds more realistic to me.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Re: So, you want to learn poker mathematics?

[ QUOTE ]
"The 0,1 Game."

Where are the parts 10+?

[/ QUOTE ]

Were they ever published? He writes in part 9 that they "will be up shortly".
Old 08-18-2005, 02:07 PM

You've said a lot in comparison to how chess players improve... I am a newcomer compared to everyone else here at poker, but in chess I have a little experience, and since I had not mentor available, I stepped my game up by playing over my games, and doing analysis of famous games, annotated or not(then comparing my notes to the professional notes of the annotated ones), making move predictions, pointing out weakness/strength, etc. As another person here reccomended, take a little vacation, you deserve it, and probably need it. Doyle Brunson, and many other top players have said that all pro players should force themselves to take vacation, even if they don't feel like they need it, because they are always more on top of their game when they come back. I suggest you analyze your own games. Start out picking out like 100 random hands you've played, and 100 hands that perplexed you, or you wanted to go over. Get a whole lot of notebooks. Log games of other people, and analyze their games. If their are famous game records available, analyze those, though I wouldn't know how to obtain them. Go over all your books for the 101st, 102nd, etc, time, and comment on them. Write sporadic comments, then force yourself to comment on every chapter, every section, every page, every hand(in the books). Keep rereading. At least, that's what I would do. And if you want to mentor someone else, I'm looking for a mentor! PM me if this helped at all.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:14 PM

Just putting in my .02, and I'm sure you already know this. Everything I read about players like Phil Ivey and other top players is that they would grind out a profit all week at their normal game, build up a stake for the game their wanting to move to, lose it all, then repeat the whole process over and over until they start to beat the game.